VZ V6 Alloytec (LE0) Safety Mode with no codes

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
J21
cars: 2005 VZ Utility
2005 Nissan T30 Xtrail

VZ V6 Alloytec (LE0) Safety Mode with no codes

Post by J21 »

Hello,

Hope I am posting this in the right spot.

I have run into an issue where my 05 vz ute goes into safety mode about 15 seconds after ignition and stores no codes. I've had varied advice/diagnoses and wondering if anyone on here might have seen a similar issue and could please help as it's doing my head in.

Details as follows:
2005 VZ V6 base utility, LE0 alloytec 175kw, auto 4spd - original engine, box and modules
Car was not in safety mode when I first bought as a fix-up project.
Previous owner had (poorly) wired in a sound system which was removed prior to me buying it. The wiring was in a bad state (tapped into various places and poorly soldered) and a few speakers were left behind which I removed.
Ignition switch had snapped tabs, no grub screws and was held in place by cable ties so I replaced that.
Next time I turned the car on, it gave me a trouble code for both front O2 sensors and displayed safety mode (first time). I replaced the O2 sensors, turned the car back on and it keeps going into safety mode but does not offer any trouble codes.
Reset ECU, keeps doing the same thing. Turn key to ACC, 'System Check OK!' and it waits there fine. Ignition, 15 seconds and 'Safety Mode! Reduced Performance!' and offers no error codes.

What I have tried so far:
-Have had 4 different scantools used and none pick up any trouble codes and none of them actually registered the car as being in safety mode.
-Cleaned throttle body and checked all sensors and connections in throttle circuit (all fine) and still goes into safety mode.
-Forced error code by unplugging MAF sensor, it came up and car still in safety mode (so the ECU does pick up codes...)
-Had wiring checked over by 2 auto electricians (apparently OK by both, got the second one to do a thorough multimeter continuity test as well)
-Unplugged transmission box (TCM still plugged in as car won't start without it), shifts through gears ok, still goes into safety mode

Short of replacing modules or sending all modules for fault finding ($400 plus $$$ on top for repairs IF they find anything), I am very much stuck as the car won't tell me what's wrong. Has anyone experienced something similar or know of any checks that the ECU does within 15 seconds from ignition that could force the car into Safety Mode without any codes displayed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you kindly in advance.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: VZ V6 Alloytec (LE0) Safety Mode with no codes

Post by Tazzi »

What were the scantools you used?

Is there an actual engine warning on dash? Not just the safety mode?

Have you checked live data? Check if the O2 sensors are even registering?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
J21
2005 Nissan T30 Xtrail

Post by J21 »

3 different SnapOn scantools (not entirely sure of the models unfortunately, I think one was a Solus) and 1 Bosch scantool.

Just comes up with 'Safety Mode! Reduced Performance' on dash and nothing else in terms of error warnings. Always 15 seconds after ignition.

O2 sensors are registering after the engine gets hot; the voltage fluctuates between 0.1-0.9V on both. I'm using Torque app and a cheap ELM327 bluetooth scanner.

I've found someone able to come past tomorrow and he has managed to borrow what he says is Holden-specific code reading software as apparently VZ V6 uses different codes for safety mode(?). Hoping that might show something and will update with what that finds. Apologies for the poor descriptions, I'm quite new to DIY and wasn't expecting to have to go this deep to solve this surprise issue!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

That would most likely be tazzis soe software from http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3224
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
J21
2005 Nissan T30 Xtrail

Post by J21 »

That's right! Turns out he did bring Software on ELM Street, but we had trouble connecting to my ECU. Turned out that his USB adaptor had incompatible drivers for the software to work with Windows 8 on his laptop. It only occurred to me after he left that we should have tried my bluetooth adaptor (d'oh!). He will be coming back mid-week with a working setup so fingers crossed we'll find something.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

J21 wrote:That's right! Turns out he did bring Software on ELM Street, but we had trouble connecting to my ECU. Turned out that his USB adaptor had incompatible drivers for the software to work with Windows 8 on his laptop. It only occurred to me after he left that we should have tried my bluetooth adaptor (d'oh!). He will be coming back mid-week with a working setup so fingers crossed we'll find something.
Haha, thought so.

Unfortunately not all ELMs are the same. They look identical, but its the actual internals that significantly differ.
That is why there is a trial/demo version available that allows testing the ELM cable to ensure it is compatible with the software. :thumbup: Unfortunately most people jump the gun and use a $4 cheapy ELM which is not compatible as it either uses counterfeit parts (Drivers will not install) or runs on old firmware which doesnt work with SOE.

Also I do not recommend using a bluetooth cable with SOE... its simply not fast enough to get data reliably! Plus, SOE will freak the BT adapter out when it attempts to speed it up :thumbdown:
J21
2005 Nissan T30 Xtrail

Post by J21 »

Noted, thanks Tazzi. I'll pass the info on to him as well as we both had cheap eBay adaptors. Probably explains why I keep getting drops every so often with just using torque and that bluetooth adaptor, I got what I paid for :comp:

Well here's hoping you can coincidentally solve this issue for me via SOE haha it's been a huge headache and the only thing left to do before this ute can get registered. Fingers crossed whatever the fault is isn't major. Will update with what happens, he tells me ETA is Wednesday/Thursday for a compatible adaptor to arrive.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Found this. Don't know if it will help.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz- ... -mode.html
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

J21 wrote:Noted, thanks Tazzi. I'll pass the info on to him as well as we both had cheap eBay adaptors. Probably explains why I keep getting drops every so often with just using torque and that bluetooth adaptor, I got what I paid for :comp:

Well here's hoping you can coincidentally solve this issue for me via SOE haha it's been a huge headache and the only thing left to do before this ute can get registered. Fingers crossed whatever the fault is isn't major. Will update with what happens, he tells me ETA is Wednesday/Thursday for a compatible adaptor to arrive.
Wonder how he knows if its compatible or not... :?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

What options are there? You have verified cables yeah? Are the non elm but elm compatible products like obdlink or allpro compatible?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396