VZ V6 Alloytec (LE0) Safety Mode with no codes

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: VZ V6 Alloytec (LE0) Safety Mode with no codes

Post by Tazzi »

Actually an absolutely fantastic idea Antus. I recon the allpro would be suitable if it supports all new ELM comands
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
J21
cars: 2005 VZ Utility
2005 Nissan T30 Xtrail

Post by J21 »

Charlescrown wrote:Found this. Don't know if it will help.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz- ... -mode.html
Thanks, I did come across this earlier when I was trying to diagnose and checked through the suggestions there but no luck. Everything looked fine, I cleaned the throttle body, airflow sensor and checked every electrical connection to make sure the clips were intact and pins were clean. Also checked spark plugs and serviced the engine. I was really hoping the safety mode thing would just go away after I did that but no love; it's just frustrating that there are no codes at all.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

J21 wrote:
Charlescrown wrote:Found this. Don't know if it will help.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz- ... -mode.html
Thanks, I did come across this earlier when I was trying to diagnose and checked through the suggestions there but no luck. Everything looked fine, I cleaned the throttle body, airflow sensor and checked every electrical connection to make sure the clips were intact and pins were clean. Also checked spark plugs and serviced the engine. I was really hoping the safety mode thing would just go away after I did that but no love; it's just frustrating that there are no codes at all.
Im pegging on failed coil pack/s

I had a recent client that fitted cheapo coil packs which begin slowly dieing causing certain cylinders to shutdown and cause the car to run terrible and into safety mode.

Replaced with unit from supercheapauto... all sorted.
J21
cars: 2005 VZ Utility
2005 Nissan T30 Xtrail

Post by J21 »

Still waiting on that cable. He says it has a 'Prolific' chipset which apparently should work with your software?

I preemptively checked coil pack voltages and they seem within range. I had a better listen to the engine and it seems to be running ok, no misfiring, just 2 noise concerns that I haven't got round to yet; a whining idler pulley and a ticking sound from the purge valve.

I was going to set up some data logging on Torque and noticed that on the Emissions overview, it keeps saying 'Incomplete' connection to Catalytic Converters and O2 Sensors. This is from ignition right through to ~20 mins of the engine running hot and during revs as well. Noted the following:
-I can get live voltage readings from both pre-cat O2 sensors (fluctuates between 0.1-0.9V)
-Unable to get any reads from either after-cat O2 sensors
-Checked all O2 sensor plugs, they all look clean and connect up fine.
-Faint rattling sound from under the passenger side after the engine heats up which makes me wonder if that cat is failing. Can a bad cat can cause safety mode (with no SES/PCM warnings/codes)?
I was planning to replace the exhaust anyway as one centre muffler and the rear muffler are in bad shape, so may need to extend that to include the cats...

All hopes in SoE whenever the cable arrives. In case that doesn't come up with anything though, is anyone please able to recommend a good auto electrical place in Perth to book in and limp this ute over to for a solid diagnosis?
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

J21 wrote:Still waiting on that cable. He says it has a 'Prolific' chipset which apparently should work with your software?
Well 'He' will probably be disappointed with whats received.

In all honesty, I have easily bought cables from 80+ suppliers now, all of which "say" that they use a specific chip or on a specific firmware version ect but they NEVER were.
I literally have a box of 100+ useless cables here from my various suppliers which all stated on latest firmware + XYZ chipsets ect. After opening them up, they end up being something completely different.
Some actually had this back glue ontop to conceal the fake chipsets identity... think I posted up a pic a while ago? *Found it.. see below
ShittyELMisShitty.jpg
ShittyELMisShitty.jpg (228.92 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
Oh, and another:
ShitterELMisEvenShitter.jpg
ShitterELMisEvenShitter.jpg (337.94 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
I currently get mine custom fabricated now, had to personally speak to the engineers of the factory to ensure I get exactly what I request.

Hope what he gets works, but just a word of warning!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Check out this one I once received. The BT sub-board is so misaligned the pin mid bottom row has no connection at all. Of course it was DOA.
Attachments
bad bt elm.jpg
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Wow, shockin soldering going on there!
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

hand soldered by 7yo chinese kids thats why lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

delcowizzid wrote:hand soldered by 7yo chinese kids thats why lol
Pffft kids, probably have to pay them. More likely monkeys as its free... minus a bannana or two :lol:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Personally checked out this car twice, And its a noo go :thumbdown:

No faults in the ECU at all, ~15secs in it jumps into safety/low performance mode. If I manually send a clear command command the fault disappears and no longer in low performance mode.. comes back about 5-10seconds later.

The wiring had been investigated by a (apparently professional) auto sparky which had left it in an absolute wreck with exposed wires touching everywhere. Prior to the sparky doing his thing, the car did not go into limp mode but had things like ABS/SRS ect warnings going off. The sparky came in to disconnect the speakers/amps ect and also probed various places in the car to check connectivity, and managed to get rid of the ABS/SRS warnings on screen.

Multiple fuses were blown while the sparky did his thing (J21 said), and the radio fuse keeps blowing so somethings still not happy there. Sparkys fix was to chuck in a bigger fuse... zero fucks given.

Safety mode should kick in when it detects pedal position does not patch TPS readings within a certain tolerance.. although these are checking out fine. Pedal was replaced.. still same problem. In any circumstance, a fault code should be produced as outlined in the Holden factory manual *sigh*.. so somethings not right there..

Next thing that was found.. cluster has been damaged. I think the sparky bridged wrong wires or let things just hit everywhere, and the cluster now always keeps a trip reading of 38,000kms+ on every reset. Replace cluster fixes that problem. Only times Iv seen that has been from major power spikes, or neg/pos wrong way round. So if the cluster has been semi wrecked... possibly ecu has been damaged also...?

Im thinking the sparky fried multiple modules.. from the greatest hack job of them all, honestly cannot come to any other conclusion..

Last possible treatment without a full wiring changeout is replace security set which we are looking at doing. Unless anyone else has a thought? Just hoping the above might help someone else that ever comes into the same problem.