BMZL1790 Faulty Knock Board??. Help!

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
oss96
cars: 96 Vs ss manual
97 Vs v8 Calais
09 Ve ssv manual
17 vf ssv redline manual

BMZL1790 Faulty Knock Board??. Help!

Post by oss96 »

Hey guys, pretty new to all this but I think I have a fair understanding of it all.. anyway, as the title says I have a vs hsv manual 185 ecu with the BMZL1790 memcal. Now my drama is, it will constantly log fault 43 (Knock Sensor Circuit Fault)! Knock sensor was checked and replaced anyway, ive pinned out the harness from the bulkhead to the knock sensor plug for continuity .. everything come up fine. I even pulled the sensor out again, and checked the port wasn't covered in rust etc.. The pcm seems to fluctuate voltage from pin b11 (I think it was) constanstly..with the ignition on, engine off, it will reach 4.6v then drop to 0.5v and so on.. is this normal? Start it up and after about 30secs, the CEL comes on with this fault... I Don't know where to go about this, and I'm lost with it.. has anyone had a similar problem? and could it be that the memcal or knockboard is faulty? any help would be great!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: BMZL1790 Faulty Knock Board??. Help!

Post by Charlescrown »

Unplug the knock sensor and see if you get around 5 volts at the plug. If you don't get a constant voltage test back at the ECU. If it still gives a funny reading like 0.5 volts it looks like you may have a faulty ECU. You can use a 12 volt to 5 volt USB adapter to supply the 5 volts to see if it works OK. That will then tell you if it's the ECU or something else.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Make sure you have the correct knock sensor fitted, correct one for BMZL has black Socket and measures approx 3.9K ohms. The VT V8 and V6 use white socket knock sensor and measure 100K ohms. Also make sure you have a genuine BMZL memcal with a knock buffer fitted inside the memcal.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Im not sure on your history of the car, but if the memcal or knock sensor came in kit form check that you have the right knock board. Its physically on the memcal and you should be able to see the number through one of the inspection windows on the top of the memcal. Its black print on a white board. It should start with 1F. If it doesnt then its a V6 knock board. This often happens with ebay jobs as the genuine V8 knock boards are rare and sellers think they can get away with modifying V6 memcals without changing the knock board.

Edit, yep as above!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
oss96
cars: 96 Vs ss manual
97 Vs v8 Calais
09 Ve ssv manual
17 vf ssv redline manual

Post by oss96 »

Cheers for the help guys, the ecu/memcal come from my old vs clubsport that was hit up the klacker. It has the real deal 1F board in the memcal,
Ahh as to the knock sensor, I got repco to get a new one for me and the one they supplied was a white plug...
I'll have a play around with it tonight when I finish work, and see how I go.. Cheers for the help fellas really appreciate it!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well, there's ya problem. White plug ones have an internal resistance of 100k iicr and used on ecotec v6 , the black plug are 40k and used on v6 and v8 from vn up to vs?

So when you use the wrong one you will get a sensor error as the internal resistance is used by the ecu to check if the sensor is connected or not.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.