Will a 424 run a 4L60E from a VT series 1.

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Will a 424 run a 4L60E from a VT series 1.

Post by MAGP »

The title basically says it all, will a 424 run a 4L60E from a VT series 1 V8?
My VT transmission arrived today and hopefully my ECM NVRAM will arrive early next week, all I need now is an engine loom with an auto plug. The price difference between a VT 531 loom and a VR-VS 424 loom is approximately $300 on ebay so I'm inclined, for the time being, to get a VR Auto loom just to get the car back on the road if the 424 will run the VT auto properly.

I do not have any PCM NVRAM yet so that will be an added cost as well if the 424 can't run the VT 4L60E.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Will a 424 run a 4L60E from a VT series 1.

Post by immortality »

It should but you would need the late VR/VS loom which will have extra wire for the TCC solenoid. Early VR didn't have the 2nd solenoid for the TCC.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

So this one should be ok then? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272344322709 ... EBIDX%3AIT

EDIT: Just paid $150 for a VS Series 2 V8 auto loom and ECM from the above link, hopefully it'll be here next week and I can get started on getting the old girl up and running again.

I'll have 1 424 for my car and another as a spare for tuning other peoples VR-VS autos.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

You will also need to setup the cal in 11p to operate the extra pwm tcc solenoid. Check a vs v8 bin for what to setup in the ramp and release rate tables.
The1

Post by The1 »

who wants PWM lol, just set it to 100% :thumbup:
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

Thanks for the tips so far. I've pretty much stuck to manuals and early non electronic autos so this is new territory for me.
When everything arrives I'll be asking plenty of questions.
The reason I asked if the 424 would run it is I know the US had some odd ball 4L60Es that you couldn't run in other models. From memory the 94-95 US 4L60Es were different to the 96 and up and if you fitted the wrong one you would burn it out in a very short time frame. I wasn't sure if the Australian models had similar issues.
Anyway, along the way I'll do a write up, for others who do something similar, and post it up in a pdf.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

MAGP wrote:Thanks for the tips so far. I've pretty much stuck to manuals and early non electronic autos so this is new territory for me.
When everything arrives I'll be asking plenty of questions.
The reason I asked if the 424 would run it is I know the US had some odd ball 4L60Es that you couldn't run in other models. From memory the 94-95 US 4L60Es were different to the 96 and up and if you fitted the wrong one you would burn it out in a very short time frame. I wasn't sure if the Australian models had similar issues.
Anyway, along the way I'll do a write up, for others who do something similar, and post it up in a pdf.
Ive been watching this thread since the beginning as i was looking into doing it also ( have a VR 304 here with trans ) but also to get rid of the flash based pcm in my VX and run MAP on the ecotec. Im still interested but may just got to the VT pcm. i just really like the added functions the 424 PCM offers
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

After Holden's largest dealer managed to kill my VS V6 engine (and other damage besides; biggest mistake of my automotive life, putting my car in their hands), I ended up getting a VY V6 engine fitted, keeping my original 97-vintage 4L60E. I don't know if anything was done to the PCM at this stage.

Not being happy that only half the bolts could be fitted between this engine and gearbox combination, I purchased a VY gearbox, and machined a section of the bell housing so as to suit the VS exhaust layout, Then I took this to an automatics shop for fitting. The only issues were that the hydraulic lines needed to be bent at a slightly different angle and the overall length was a bit different, so affecting the mounting bracket arrangements for the gearbox and the exhaust.

Now, I'm pretty sure the automatics shop wouldn't have done anything with the PCM, so that implies nothing was needed in that regard, going from a 97-vintage VS 4L60E to the VY version.

Joe.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

hsv08 wrote:Ive been watching this thread since the beginning as i was looking into doing it also ( have a VR 304 here with trans ) but also to get rid of the flash based pcm in my VX and run MAP on the ecotec. Im still interested but may just got to the VT pcm. i just really like the added functions the 424 PCM offers
I'm going down this path because I need the car running sooner rather than later, and on the cheap if I can. I'd prefer to use the VT 531 PCM but I can't justify an extra $300-350 for an engine loom if a 424 will do the job.
j_ds_au wrote:After Holden's largest dealer managed to kill my VS V6 engine (and other damage besides; biggest mistake of my automotive life, putting my car in
their hands), I ended up getting a VY V6 engine fitted, keeping my original 97-vintage 4L60E. I don't know if anything was done to the PCM at this stage.

Not being happy that only half the bolts could be fitted between this engine and gearbox combination, I purchased a VY gearbox, and machined a section of the bell housing so as to suit the VS exhaust layout, Then I took this to an automatics shop for fitting. The only issues were that the hydraulic lines needed to be bent at a slightly different angle and the overall length was a bit different, so affecting the mounting bracket arrangements for the gearbox and the exhaust.

Now, I'm pretty sure the automatics shop wouldn't have done anything with the PCM, so that implies nothing was needed in that regard, going from a 97-vintage VS 4L60E to the VY version.

Joe.
Thanks Joe, I'm more confident now after your post it will be ok.