Holden 202 crank trigger wheel

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
rb3torana
cars: Torana

Holden 202 crank trigger wheel

Post by rb3torana »

Hi new here, Im trying to set up a crank trigger on a 202 holden. Im going to use a EF falcon VR type sensor (Variable reluctance sensor). Just going to wire it into the stock module first up and run it locked. I need 3 trigger points on the wheel. What type of crank wheel do I need? I have access to a lathe so I can machine one up. Do I need a wheel with notches or poles? I was thinking poles maybe a steel wheel with square posts welded to it? Or an alloy wheel with bolts flush with the outside, but the pickups would be round so may not work? Let me know your thoughts, any help is a appreciated. Thanks
Holden202T

Re: Holden 202 crank trigger wheel

Post by Holden202T »

ok well from what i have learnt the best option is a tooth sticking out rather than a slot cut in the disc.

either will work but apparently the teeth option is better.

so for an electronic ignition to work with a reluctor sensor you need 3 slots or teeth on the balancer evenly spaced and 10 degrees from TDC.

now where it gets more complex is you need to mount your sensor, and once its mounted then you can work out the location of the 3 slots/teeth. i used a degree wheel to work mine out, rotated the balancer so it was at TDC then moved it to the 10 degrees advanced mark, then marked where the sensor lined up with the balancer and then from that point the other two points are 120 degrees apart.

have a look at this thread, its got plenty of info on my learnings so far with this setup https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =15&t=2540