Can memcals be read protected??

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
hoopstar
cars: 350 Chev HR Holden (carby)
VK Calais with (soon) VR EFI 304

Can memcals be read protected??

Post by hoopstar »

I have a commercially modified memcal that I want to remove VATS from.

I have read the bin from but the problem is no matter which xdf file I use, the information seems incorrect. So far I've used just about everything I can find on PCM Hacking and things like Number of Cylinders is incorrect.

For example:

11B_V106

OSE_$11P V104

$11 Version 3 xdf

Am I doing something wrong or can these binaries be 'encrypted' so they can be read?

Cheers for any help you can provide.
Jayme

Re: Can memcals be read protected??

Post by Jayme »

what company made the memcal? what does the memcal look like? any identifying markings? it could be a kalmaker tune or some other custom codebase. possibly identifiable by eye. probably not much anyone here can do without the actual bin file.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Have you tried the1s bin id tool? It could be something which is none of the above, or it could be copy protected. Does it look normal to the eye, or is there an extra chip on there? The are some companies doing custom protection, but its more likely an after market OS which is different to what you have tried.

edit: snap
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
hoopstar
cars: 350 Chev HR Holden (carby)
VK Calais with (soon) VR EFI 304

Post by hoopstar »

I was hesitant to post the bin file because it's a COME chip and understand these aren't permitted.. :oops:

I didn't know about the bin ID tool (cool little program -thanks for the tip) but downloaded it and it ID is as follows:

Strangely it says it's a VR V6 chip but the memcal came from a VR V8 car.

More bloody confused that I was before :(
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

So to be able to read it and get an identification from the tool means that its not got any form of read protection. What you need is a COME XDF. Unfortunately I dont think any are available. If you are handy with a hex editor you might be look at a VR V6 factory tune, and see where the VATS location is. Take note of byte a few ways each side of it, and you might be able to find the same pattern in that file to figure out which bit (in which byte) you need to change with a little trial and error.

Probably COME used the same bin for V6 and V8 models and included a number of cylinders setting. The string displayed there is just text based on the signature of the code, it does not check for such a calibration setting.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396