festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by festy »

Not much progress of late. Chasing oil leaks was getting very frustrating so instead I've been working on my other GTV and bike a bit, and I had a 75 twinspark for a couple of weeks so finally got a chance to play around with my Motronic RT stuff for a while.

After a few weeks break I took another look at the leaks, and replacing one dodgy 45* -10 fitting and two gaskets seems to have made quite an improvement.
I made a new CAS bracket because my first one didn't have enough adjustment in it, the new one has no adjustment at all but shouldn't need any.
Then I put it all back together, dropped it off the stands, and drove it out of the garage for the first time in months.
The turbo has quietened the exhaust down a lot which is good, and it appears to spool up pretty quickly from my limited testing on my driveway.

I thought I'd try to work out my correct reference angle while the car was out of the garage, so grabbed my timing light and commanded Mode 4 20* advance, but was seeing a lot less than 20*.
I assumed my reference angle was way out so started adjusting it, but then I noticed that with mode 4 cancelled the timing increased on the pulley marks, but it should have been the other way around.
I was a bit confused, and later when I was looking at the log I saw that when 20* was commanded it only held there for a few seconds, then dropped to 2.5* which would explain the roughly 10* increase I saw when cancelling mode 4 timing:
timing.jpg
timing.jpg (76.16 KiB) Viewed 5468 times

Here's the log and bin, I'd love to know what's going on here...
Attachments
151115.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
151121.xdl
(366.18 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

moral of the story, use diagnostic mode ?
festy

Post by festy »

hmmm ok I thought that was diagnostic timing mode, will try it again grounding the wire...
festy

Post by festy »

Diagnostic mode didn't seem to work out too well, timing increased to 20+, AFRs went off the scale and then stall.
At idle the timing only varies a little between about 11-15* so I checked with the timing light and it was showing almost 25* with the reference angle set to 62*.
I set it to 70* and it looks pretty close now:
ref.jpg
ref.jpg (33.47 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if your not having luck with diag mode you can always put 20 across every spark table value and idle table, then you should be able to get it on that mark!

but theres other things that will change it up and down to keep the idle stable .....

I've found with my motor to do diag mode it needs a lot more IAC (big cam) otherwise it will stall, but once it settles down it normally works, just a bit more laboured.
festy

Post by festy »

Yeah that's pretty much what I did, but used 15*. I'll try adding IAC steps next time I give diag mode a go, thanks.
I took a video of the timing marks and it bounces around between about 10 and 15* on the balancer, which matches up with the TP log so close enough for now. I'm not using a factory ignition map so the actual numbers are pretty meaningless, but it's nice to be in the right ballpark ;)

Time to look at some heat shields I think - I just had it idling in my driveway for 10 minutes and when I opened the bonnet the brake MC was pretty warm. Actually, so was the bonnet...
Do those turbo blankets make much of a difference? Maybe I should fit one over the MC? :mrgreen:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

never used a blanket but I have some of that stick on heat shield mat on the bonnet of my car above the turbo for that very reason!
festy

Post by festy »

While changing one of my brake light globes I found a pretty cool wasp nest inside... and a few spots of rust which I couldn't leave alone so ended up re-painting the rear. Twice actually, after spending a couple of weeks on the prep work, my spray gun played up and the colour coat went on so rough it was tearing holes in 600# paper so I had to start over but the second time the colour went on nicely.
wasp.jpg
wasp.jpg (103.51 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
And with summer over, I didn't want my turbo getting cold as it sits in my garage all winter :oops:
blankie.jpg
blankie.jpg (184.43 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

lol start the car more and the turbo certainly wont be cold :P
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Good that your happy with the reference but why isnt diag mode working? Grounded the diag request line and not getting constant 10 degrees timing or engine wont idle?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396