Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development

Programs / Tools / Scripts
Holden202T

Re: ELM327 Software Development

Post by Holden202T »

ok I tried this in the VZ, got the elm installed then selected com port, speed and auto, then tried to connect, retried a few times then failed saying no elm device detected....

question is, is this an issue of the software not seeing the elm or not seeing the car ?

I dunno what drivers its supposed to use so got CP2102 drivers off the net after a search and it seemed to install correctly ?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

i'll be different for different clones. the one i have in front of me has a pl2023 chip which is a different brand of serial->usb. CP2012 is likely correct for yours though, they are cheap and common, too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Holden202T wrote:ok I tried this in the VZ, got the elm installed then selected com port, speed and auto, then tried to connect, retried a few times then failed saying no elm device detected....

question is, is this an issue of the software not seeing the elm or not seeing the car ?

I dunno what drivers its supposed to use so got CP2102 drivers off the net after a search and it seemed to install correctly ?
So the "No elm device detected" is when the elm device doesnt respond back to "ATZ", which makes the ELM send "ELM VX.XX" where the x.xx is the version number. It may be a drivers issue? Since it definitely responded back on other ELMS.

Holden202, could you install that serial port monitor (its free!), run that then run my software and see whats actually happening?
If the serialport monitor doesnt show a response from the elm.. then it elm isnt responding.

What baud rate did you try? Maybe try other rates?

The code I have there is:

Code: Select all

SerialPort1.WriteLine(ResetDeviceFrame) 'Sends ATZ
            CheckResponse = DetectElmDeviceGetResponse(ResetDeviceFrame, RichTextBoxConnectionActionLog) 'get response and check
If CheckResponse = "Failed" Or CheckResponse = "" Then
                SetRichTextBox_ThreadSafe("ELM Device Not Detected!", RichTextBoxConnectionActionLog)
                MessageBox.Show("ELM Device Not Detected!!", "Warning", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
                Exit Sub
ElseIf CheckResponse.Contains("ELM") Then 'if elm device, display info
                SetRichTextBox_ThreadSafe("ELM Device Successfully Found!", RichTextBoxConnectionActionLog)
                SetLabel_ThreadSafe("Device: " & CheckResponse, LabelDevice)
End If
So basically, it checks if the response contains "ELM", if so that it got the response!. If the elm doesnt respond back, the software will timeout and send back a "Failed" message.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Just ran it on the elm simulator. Ran through it all happily with a set protocol (Eg VPW)... when set to auto protocol, that requires connection with car to determine cars protocol.
As long as the device is actually powered up correctly, and on the correct baud rate for communication. Should happily connect up.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i can only detect my elm when powered on the bench doesnt work plugged into car that was a few versions back now LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Yeah... thats weird.. hence why we need to have the serialport monitor running to see whats actually being sent between the elm and software when in car. I dont get how it can work on bench but not in car! Weird!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i did try different baud rates to see if that made a difference and also tried to select can protocal ..... will have a play with the port monitor when i get some time.

so you guys are saying if i plug the elm in to the laptop but not the car and the drivers are right, i should be able to hit connect and it will respond that its found the elm ?
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Mine must be plugged into the car with ignition on then it connects to elm.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Holden202T wrote:yeah i did try different baud rates to see if that made a difference and also tried to select can protocal ..... will have a play with the port monitor when i get some time.

so you guys are saying if i plug the elm in to the laptop but not the car and the drivers are right, i should be able to hit connect and it will respond that its found the elm ?
i had to pwer my elm from my bench supply to detect it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ok cool, i did have it in the car when testing so that shouldn't have been the issue, probably driver related.

i have a LS1 pcm bench so i can probably test with that too till i can get it working.