Standalone VS engine (Hilux conversion)

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
lacham05

Standalone VS engine (Hilux conversion)

Post by lacham05 »

Hi all, this may have been asked before but i'm new to this and have searched and searched and can't find a straight answer. :comp:

I have a stuffed 3.8 with a t5 manual from a VP (that never ran properly and can only put it down to wiring/ecu) in my Hilux and i have a whole auto VS ecotec motor, loom and computer at my house.

Basically what i want it to do is just run the VS engine with the t5 and an adapter of some sort for the vss

My main question is does anyone know if i can get the VS motor it to run properly with the correct ecu and custom memcal combo??
(I know about the VATS and having to have a VSS but not much else)

The numbers on top of the ECU box are 16231448 and 16210672

Hopefully someone can help so I don't have to go to the extent of putting a Link computer or something in
Last edited by lacham05 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Re: Standalone VS engine

Post by vs ss »

Hi yes you can do that via turning the vats off on the memcal and auto codes if your running the hilux manual but you really need to run a speed sensor.
You can turn the throttle stop screw up to avoid stalling issues etc but a universal type inline reluctor sensor are not that dear then closed loop and other pcm functions that are speed related will work.
Come to think of it I think you could just burn something like a getrag manual tune with vats removed should do the trick.
I am sure someone else will chime in to give some more info.
Last edited by vs ss on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacham05

Post by lacham05 »

Sorry just edited it. Going to put in a vss in somehow on the t5.

So basically i just need a memcal without the VATS and adjusted to have all the Auto stuff turned off and my VSS wired up??

OR as you say a getrag memcal in the auto ECU??
vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Oh sorry I will learn to read first :think:
You will need a manual ecu to get the t5 speedo to work as they are hall effect or tho there might be an easier way but you will have to wait for someone else to help as I am not to cluey on the speedo side of things :thumbdown:
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

the auto and manual ecus are essentially the same, except some autos are missing the components to allow it to read hall effect. most of the VS manual tunes were for T5 anyway..... only one or two were for getrag.... I woudl burn BWPK with VATS off and go.

if your pcm doesnt have speedo components in it, no worries. just bypass PCM and hook T5 sender directly to the dash input... happy days and you wont notice any difference.
vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

You can do as Jamie said cause on my old vc commy I just screwed the sensor off and made a cable that went on and straight to the dash.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

oh I didnt forgot about the hilux part...... does the hilux have an electronic speedo ? you may need to run one of those jaycar speedo corrector boxes to get it right... or get a T5 to hilux cable made up if its a cable speedo.
lacham05

Post by lacham05 »

As long as the computer gets a speed signal. The actual speedo in the dash doesn't matter. Having a custom setup made for the speedo in the dash.

So a BWPK with the VATS off and I should be good to go? Sorry i have no idea what BWPK is- i'm assuming a memcal tune code??

What if it does have speed sensors in it? Can i remove it? I can adapt the auto one if I have to, i'm an engineer, with no idea on how these computers in these work haha
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

the speed signal to the computer has only one job on a manual... if you have the throttle blade closed and car is not moving, it will go into idle mode and adjust idle stepper motor to acheive desired idle RPM. if throttle blade is shut and you are moving (EG shifting down gears and engine braking) it will not go into idle mode and adjust the stepper.

if you do a conversion and skip the speed sensor, then when engine braking the engine will go into idle mode and close the Idle stepper motor to try to bring the revs down... when it is all the way shut and you touch the clutch the engine stalls. the solution as mentioned above is to wind in the throttle stop screw till this stops happening... when it gets to the point that it doesnt stall even when the Idle stepper is all the way shut, then the problem is Moot and you dont need the speed sender. ive run a few engines with no speed sensor and they are fine.

as for the bin file... http://pcmhacking.net/forums/download/file.php?id=640
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

If you did want to run a VSS the auto PCM can be easily converted to work with a T5 sender .. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... =40#p15740