vn v6 turbocharger choice

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vn304turbo
cars: Vn exec wagon factory v8

Re: vn v6 turbocharger choice

Post by vn304turbo »

That small pipe just under the flange on the right side that curls around is the wastegate pipe.
Tonight ill get my turbo and dummy it up so you can see how the setup fits together etc. I think tye problem is the wastegate wont be able to bleed enough preasure off due to onoy feeding off one side of the engine
Attachments
20140510_072313.jpg
20140510_072313.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3127 times
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

your turbine housing is a single hole so it is letting pressure out of both banks just not efficeintly.you will probably find the housing is way to small and the exhaust wheel inside it most likely is quite small.you could fit a second wastegate in the same manor as the other gate to help flow enough and it will suit the bigger split turbine housing turbo if you change turbos and fit a new flange on the manifold later.
the worst thing about boosting from low rpm is it strains the bottomend harder with the extra load on the crank and bearings at low rpm and detonation mostly happens high load low rpm

if you have the spanners and can handle taking the housings off the turbo rip one off at a time and measure the wheel sizes .
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vn304turbo

Post by vn304turbo »

Ok thankyou, I just whipped the rear housing off after reading this but cant seem to find my vernier calipers so measurements may have to wait till I can find them. How good do you think my chances are of finding a larger a/r housing to suit this wheel? Is it even possible to use this wheel with a different a/r housing?

It seems to me that if I have to change the whole turbo I may as well flog this gear off and make the manifold and dump from scratch to avoid all this modification and trial and error. Got my new mig welder now, its a uni mig 180 so perhaps I could sell this stuff off and buy some pipe with the profits.

Even if it boosts early and strains the engine more, and as a result means I change engines more frequently do you think you could tune, or advise how to tune around that? Perhaps just more fuel and less timing in low-mid revs?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

rich to start with and less timing is going to be the best way to keep it safe, if it was mine i'd be bolting it all together and see what happens, if it boosts straight off idle then yeah maybe you want to have a bigger turbo, and just set the wastegate to open on like 5 psi till you get a feel for it then slowly bump pressure up as you go.
vn304turbo

Post by vn304turbo »

Yea I have been consulting a mate about this and he said the same thing, I know a bloke with a genuine garret turbo that cake off an FG XR6T for 600 or so, im thinking if I can sell this stuff for that them ill do it and make a new manifold from scratch more like delcowizzids but with my own touches. If it doesnt sell ill just keep stocking up all the parts I need then slap it on and see whats up
vn304turbo

Post by vn304turbo »

Delcowizzid, I went to calculate shipping to my address for that japrace t70 turbo and it just says sorry we cant ship to your address? That really sucks : /
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

send them an email postage wont be cheap
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vn304turbo

Post by vn304turbo »

Ok stuff it, ill take a chance on another one I had in mind, its another t70 with the same specs as the one from japrace. It will just work out alot cheaper, not really that keen to pay more than 650 for a turbo. Ill have a look and see whats around just to be sure.

So assuming 60lb injectors, japrace t70 spec turbo and a manifold very much similar to yours on an otherwise bog stock engine with a stock stall converter and stock 3.08 gears, 3" turbo back exhaust with straight through glass pack muffler what should I be lookin to do generally with my tune to setup a base? Or if you have one to suit as a base send me a pm with a price ; )
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

vn304turbo wrote:Ok stuff it, ill take a chance on another one I had in mind, its another t70 with the same specs as the one from japrace. It will just work out alot cheaper, not really that keen to pay more than 650 for a turbo. Ill have a look and see whats around just to be sure.

So assuming 60lb injectors, japrace t70 spec turbo and a manifold very much similar to yours on an otherwise bog stock engine with a stock stall converter and stock 3.08 gears, 3" turbo back exhaust with straight through glass pack muffler what should I be lookin to do generally with my tune to setup a base? Or if you have one to suit as a base send me a pm with a price ; )
If you're on a budget a borg warner S362 or the like will come to your door for under $900
vn304turbo

Post by vn304turbo »

900 is more than im going to spend... I was offered an ex ba falcon garret 3582 for 600 bucks man. If its still on offer this weekend thats probs what ill be doing, otherwise its ebay for a chinese knock off. I found one I like the look of and have checked out the seller they seem legit