Can anyone help out a newby with ECU logging/hacking?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vx_commodore
cars: Vx commodore V6 Auto.

Re: Can anyone help out a newby with ECU logging/hacking?

Post by vx_commodore »

Dylan wrote:I don't touch the auto shifts seen it end badly to many times by tuning shops let alone others.
Maybe compare some of fhe V8 HSV tunes and see what they did?
OK yeah, Was not sure if it was a good idea or not. I'll give that a miss.

I'm having a look at my current bin file, And I can't seem to find what you suggested. What are those terms in tunerpro? (Target AFR in power range & more timing under load and cruise.)
Thanks!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to change the line pressures in the tune ..... but there are a few things to remember .....

1. if the box is old or worn out it might only take a firm shift to kill it....
2. if you only change the settings in small amounts there more chance you'll get the results you want without going to far and hurting it
3. more often than not people try to upgrade the line pressures to make a box work properly for more HP than it can handle, and this is never going to be the right solution nor give the right results for a long period of time!
4. whatever you do, don't change the 0kms row off 0! you'll end up having the thing slam into gears when going from reverse to drive (while still rolling)

I honestly don't see what the issue is or the big difference with changing the line pressures in the tune, compared to a mechanical shift kit, if the shift kit is just enlarging a hole to flow more oil to increase the apply rate on a piston then I don't see how having a tune increase the pressure to do the same thing is a bad thing ?

having said that, theres usually a limit to a line pressure increase which is not usually as firm as a mechanical shift kit can provide.....

I've done tune shift improvements and mechanical shift kits to plenty of autos and in all cases the only failures I had was due to more HP than a stock box is designed for!
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Only played with MAF based tune once before.
Something like open loop afr. Power range will be higher air flow.
Cruise area look at the lean cruise table where those offsets are is where you will be at say 70 and 100kph.
Get the timing up there to increase efficiency. Could even try some more lean cruise offset or shortening the delays.
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

Holden202T wrote:I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to change the line pressures in the tune ..... but there are a few things to remember .....

1. if the box is old or worn out it might only take a firm shift to kill it....
2. if you only change the settings in small amounts there more chance you'll get the results you want without going to far and hurting it
3. more often than not people try to upgrade the line pressures to make a box work properly for more HP than it can handle, and this is never going to be the right solution nor give the right results for a long period of time!
4. whatever you do, don't change the 0kms row off 0! you'll end up having the thing slam into gears when going from reverse to drive (while still rolling)

I honestly don't see what the issue is or the big difference with changing the line pressures in the tune, compared to a mechanical shift kit, if the shift kit is just enlarging a hole to flow more oil to increase the apply rate on a piston then I don't see how having a tune increase the pressure to do the same thing is a bad thing ?

having said that, theres usually a limit to a line pressure increase which is not usually as firm as a mechanical shift kit can provide.....

I've done tune shift improvements and mechanical shift kits to plenty of autos and in all cases the only failures I had was due to more HP than a stock box is designed for!
Box is old, But has been rebuilt at some stage.

So I was only going to do a slight increase, It was just reccomended by someone to extend trans life, By quicker shifts less slip less wear.
The 4l60e from my understanding was built for comfort, And this comfort wears the box out faster.

My trans shifts nice, Its just slow ish between shifts, 2-3/mostly. I tightened the pwm solenoid just for a test, And it was much better, But I quickly turned it back to normal and await further investigation,
Shifts are nice and firm, Just slow. All orifices in seperator plate enlarged. New springs, pistons, All that mechanical shift kit stuff.

Dylan wrote:Only played with MAF based tune once before.
Something like open loop afr. Power range will be higher air flow.
Cruise area look at the lean cruise table where those offsets are is where you will be at say 70 and 100kph.
Get the timing up there to increase efficiency. Could even try some more lean cruise offset or shortening the delays.
OK, I'm going to install new PCM tomorrow, Turn off VATS and go for a test, Then from there I want to start playing with the stuff you mentioned. So I will have more questions I'm sure of it! Sorry. Lol. Hope you don't mind.

Because, as I suspected. It does seem like someone has messed with my current PCM at some stage. There both the same PCM, but my original one has quiet a lot of things different. So its going to be intresting to go back to a proper non messed with PCM and feel the differences.

I may be wrong. As I'm only new to this. So its just all learning, But my car always was different from other vx's I driven, I thought the previous owner(police) may have had some things changed for whatever reason. And seeing the differences in the bin file when I compare only somewhat confirms this, But I really have no idea.

Its just fun to experiment, See what does what. And at the same time, make the car better to drive

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
I'd be lost without it.
Last edited by vx_commodore on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

One quick question, Do I at any stage while simply turning VATS OFF on new PCM for testing have to say yes to clear the internal registers? Or click no?
Is it only required to click yes when cloning?
I have already saved both my original PCM and new PCM Bin files 5 times under 5 different names. All those times I clicked No.
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

Hey guys, Well today I SUCCESSFULLY sent the command to the PCM to turn vats off, And it worked!!.
Now car will start and run with new PCM!! I'm so excited that it worked!

Now I would love to start chasing better performance, But I can't seem to figure out how to advance timing and what not.
There are a few things in tunerpro relating to timing.
Example.
Corrective spark advance Vs ECT Vs MGC.
Corrective spark advance vs IAT vs MGC.
Idle spark advance vs ECT.
Idle spark advance - long idle set vs ECT.
Which one should I change.? And how much to start with?

Also. Is OPEN LOOP AFR VS MGC VS RPM the correct one to change Afr as reccomended?
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I'll post one up later. I'll do one up and you can do a compare with stock one.
Read up on how to compare too .bin's in tuner pro.
I will be using the enhanced bin so load up a stock one and the xdf. Be sone around 8 o clock. Only takes 5 minutes.
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

Dylan wrote:I'll post one up later. I'll do one up and you can do a compare with stock one.
Read up on how to compare too .bin's in tuner pro.
I will be using the enhanced bin so load up a stock one and the xdf. Be sone around 8 o clock. Only takes 5 minutes.
That would be great, thanks.

I think I know how to compare, I did it with new and old PCM. Just click compare bin then it will show you the value of current loaded bin, Then you click on that 'show compare bin data' button and it shows you both for whatever paramater you have clicked on?
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Have a look at this. Never done an ecotec before. Use at your own risk.
Get a log and check for any knock. Also get to 100 and see what air flow you have and we can look at the lean cruise see if it can be improved.
Use premium unleaded with this. It pays for itself and some in fuel economy when needed.
Attachments
vxenhancedmod_06082015.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
vx_commodore

Post by vx_commodore »

Dylan wrote:Have a look at this. Never done an ecotec before. Use at your own risk.
Get a log and check for any knock. Also get to 100 and see what air flow you have and we can look at the lean cruise see if it can be improved.
Use premium unleaded with this. It pays for itself and some in fuel economy when needed.
Ah excellent! Thanks for that!
Damn! I just filled up with $60 regular 91 unleaded today, So I'll wait till that's gone before I give it a go.

I'll load it up now just to get an idea of what you did.

What sort of improvements would you think I'd see?