VX racecar - VN-VP ECU on Ecotec

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
kahlakid
cars: VX Racecar
D40 Navara

Re: VX racecar - VN-VP ECU on Ecotec

Post by kahlakid »

Biggvl wrote:If you like cheating stories, google 'Smokey Yunik' he was the god father of rule bending
Googling him as i type this.

hahaha sounds like you had alot of fun with it!
i was very tempted to do an old corty or something for the pure fun factor have having a carby motor but its just a better more reliable way to be competive.
One of my mates runs a Cortina and ive been doing a bit of crewing with him this seasion and its been the funest year of racing so far. Best he has placed is a 2nd in a heat but at the halfway point we are getting competive with the front guys. Its amazing we can do the smallest thing and it effects his whole race. So hopefully we can keep chipping away!

oh is that right? so no cam angle sensors or any of that crap? its so hard to find these things on the internet. they are all locked away in some blokes mind who has done it before
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I'll put in my bit on the cam selection. On the dyno sim I found for at least Buick v6 does nothing above 470 lift. Having the right amount of duration, lobe separation and cam timing is most of it is at it seems.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

He's intending to run a ecotec and the heads on those keep increasing flow to well over .550" valve lift from the figures I've seen. Peak lift isn't the only concern, if you can open the valve quicker you get into the high flow areas faster. With a small duration cam you are limited to the amount of lobe lift and how aggressive your ramps rates are, putting on say a 1.7 or 1.8 rocker will help lift the valve faster which will improve total average flow.

The only issue is the standard heads are limited to about .515" valve lift before you have clearance issues between the valve stem seal and spring retainer but this is easily solved with the right combination of springs/retainers and slim valve stem seal. It'll need good springs any way if you run a high intensity cam (aggressive ramp rates).
immortality

Post by immortality »

kahlakid wrote:Biggvl;
Im always keen for stories! My old man also used to race a torana on meth back in the day and some of the stuff ive herd is crazy. restamping blocks etc
and also what do you mean by 6 wires?

Immortality;
so something like these?
http://www.camtechcams.com.au/hold_6cyl ... vs_vu.html
(the two top ones)
The top one would probably not be to bad but it still lacks lift. That cam with a 1.9 high ratio rocker is still only .507" valve lift (.427" with standard 1.6 rocker) which isn't much more than what you get with a standard cam and high ratio rockers.

I'd consider getting the standard cam reground. Talk to your local cam grinder and see how much extra lift they could with what ever duration. Maybe Vlad could sim it up and work out an ideal duration to match that memcal and VN cam info.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Biggvl wrote:If you like cheating stories, google 'Smokey Yunik' he was the god father of rule bending
It's all about "Interpretation" not bending.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
kahlakid
D40 Navara

Post by kahlakid »

vlad01 wrote:I'll put in my bit on the cam selection. On the dyno sim I found for at least Buick v6 does nothing above 470 lift. Having the right amount of duration, lobe separation and cam timing is most of it is at it seems.
so in saying that maybe machining the standard cam might be the way to go, i was talking about this with my old man today actually he was suggesting that also
immortality wrote:
kahlakid wrote:Biggvl;
Im always keen for stories! My old man also used to race a torana on meth back in the day and some of the stuff ive herd is crazy. restamping blocks etc
and also what do you mean by 6 wires?

Immortality;
so something like these?
http://www.camtechcams.com.au/hold_6cyl ... vs_vu.html
(the two top ones)
The top one would probably not be to bad but it still lacks lift. That cam with a 1.9 high ratio rocker is still only .507" valve lift (.427" with standard 1.6 rocker) which isn't much more than what you get with a standard cam and high ratio rockers.

I'd consider getting the standard cam reground. Talk to your local cam grinder and see how much extra lift they could with what ever duration. Maybe Vlad could sim it up and work out an ideal duration to match that memcal and VN cam info.
Im from QLD, we seem to lack.. as you could say helpful people up here. Its just an unknown for me and people who have figgured out the right cam set up dont like to tell their findings if u know what i mean.
kahlakid
D40 Navara

Post by kahlakid »

Also i talked to a few guys who have wired up the vn harness on a ecotec and its proving to be easier then i first thought. So thats a plus!
immortality

Post by immortality »

I think the major difference is the MAT sensor instead of the IAT sensor and the engine temp sensor if I remember correctly. You'll need to drill and tap the plenum to suit the VN style MAT sensor.
kahlakid
D40 Navara

Post by kahlakid »

immortality wrote:I think the major difference is the MAT sensor instead of the IAT sensor and the engine temp sensor if I remember correctly. You'll need to drill and tap the plenum to suit the VN style MAT sensor.
I actually found some info in the most unusual place. on youtube some guy did a vn harness on an ecotec to prove his friend wrong and i found it. only had about 6k views i think. im sure i saved the link... i think this is it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqpO_OEh1bo

hopefully vlad might come up with some goods for a cam idea :) ;) :afro: :driving:
immortality

Post by immortality »

There is a thread on the JC forum ecotec conversion into VN/VP. Fairly much covers everything.