Moates ostrich and hi speed coms 808 troubles

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Re: Moates ostrich and hi speed coms 808 troubles

Post by VK_3800 »

Using the Autoprom occasionally I was able to use it for both live emulation via Tunerpro and diagnostics simultaneously with $12P (and VR manual ECU for high speed comms) which speeds things up if you have someone else to drive. However it was generally problematic and never as reliable as one or the other alone, often I just couldn't get it to happen at all and basically gave up and went to recording/reviewing logs and making changes offline. I could still use the Autoprom emulator and leave it plugged in so the changes could be uploaded immediately (faster than the NVRAM via ECU), just couldn't make live changes via Tunerpro.
vp304

Post by vp304 »

vk3800 was that using one usb port split into 2 by double adaptor ?
Or each device had its own usb port on laptop ?
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

The Autoprom is an all-in-one device so there is only one USB connection between that and the PC, you just choose whether to connect Tunerpro for each different function or not (using the Autoprom-specific plugin).

Not what you wanted to hear but I figure if that can't reliably do both at once then it may not be something you can fix.
vp304

Post by vp304 »

agh ok ic ic
Dam not good
Waiting on my vr aldl lead now from on here. Looks like that might conflict with my ostrich if trying to run of same usb port also
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

vp304 wrote:agh ok ic ic
Dam not good
Waiting on my vr aldl lead now from on here. Looks like that might conflict with my ostrich if trying to run of same usb port also
If it's a USB power limitation issue, you can use an externally-powered type USB hub to "split" your USB port. You'll also need a cigarette-lighter-socket to barrel-plug adaptor with the correct output voltage (usually 5V) and barrel-plug size for the USB hub. Something like this looks suitable :
http://www.goodway.com.tw/prodimg/manual/UH684.pdf

Joe.
Last edited by j_ds_au on Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vp304

Post by vp304 »

j_ds_au my usb adaptor/splitter is a 1 into 4 splitter
Can i try plug a usb power supply into cigarete lighter then a usb lead from that into one of my 4 ports on my adaptor and it should boost the supply voltage to the devices ?
To see if it is a power supply issue.
Saves me having to buy a fancy power supply style splitter like the one in your link above
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

vp304 wrote:j_ds_au my usb adaptor/splitter is a 1 into 4 splitter
So pretty much plug a usb power supply into cigarete lighter then a usb lead from that into one of my 4 ports on my adaptor and it should boost the supply voltage to the devices ?
To see if it is a power supply issue
Doesn't sound quite right. You need a USB hub with a separate dedicated power inlet. I've added a link in my previous post.

Joe.

PS. OK, you've seen the link. Externally powered USB hubs interact differently with the host computer as far as current limiting is concerned. Bus powered ones are much more restrictive, may even be only 100mA total.
vp304

Post by vp304 »

Ok thanks for the info