XR6T into VY SS Shell.. AKA Frankenstein's Monster

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
megajuz3003
cars: 2001 VU SS

XR6T into VY SS Shell.. AKA Frankenstein's Monster

Post by megajuz3003 »

I'm not sure where to put this, so ill put it here for now

one of my friends hit me up last night to see if I can do some wiring for him over Xmas. He's putting a BA XR6T engine into his VY SS shell.. now the only thing I'm not sure if I can work out is the communications bus

The XR6T ECU apparently is Can Bus so part of me is thinking about adding a VZ Pim to connect the Can Bus and ALDL bus; but I don't know enough about the how the PIMs work to even know if this could work.. can anyone point me in the right direction
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (92.52 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
Gareth

Re: XR6T into VY SS Shell.. AKA Frankenstein's Monster

Post by Gareth »

Run, run far away....

The two can languages will be different and it won't work. You will need something to listen to the Ford can and convert it to Holden Can, like a Raspberry Pi with can.

Plenty of great info from here - http://opengarages.org/handbook/
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
megajuz3003

Post by megajuz3003 »

Biggvl wrote:Run, run far away....
this was my initial thought :lol:

Biggvl wrote:The two can languages will be different and it won't work. You will need something to listen to the Ford can and convert it to Holden Can, like a Raspberry Pi with can.

Plenty of great info from here - http://opengarages.org/handbook/

I did think of a Pi but that mean I have to write a heap of code to make it work... :cry: thinking about getting him to bring me up the ecu just to get a look at the differences
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

The pim assumes certain mesages will be present, and likely certain timings. Its more than a straight protocol layer conversion.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

sicne you have to convert anyways, it will likely be easier to stay far away from PIM and just write an ALDL >> Ford pcm conversion.

there is a dash packet that is documented somewhere that you can spoof by using your PI to query the ford pcm for engine light/coolant temp etc, then store them as local variables in the pi, then send them via ALDL each time the dash requests a packet. make no mistake, this is still a huge coding task, more like making your own PIM than using the holden one.

or you can resign to the fact that you wont have coolant temp or check engine light or oil light in the factory dash. speedo and tacho in the VY are still physically wired.

what will be even harder is getting the other body functions to work... off the top of my head AC compressor request goes through an ALDL packet from BCM >> ALDL >> PIM >> PCM
megajuz3003

Post by megajuz3003 »

seeing uni is finished up (other than exams) for the year and work is quiet I'm planning on putting some time into this problem just mainly for something to do :wall:

making a PIM would defiantly be a big job, from the limited details I have from poor quality wiring diagrams show the cruise control and i think some trans function (on VZ anyway) direct to the PIM.. mission this week would be to try and get decent wiring diagrams for the PIM/BCM/Cluster and Ford ECU.. just to try and get a grasp on how much work has to be done
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Forget the factory PIM, it will be useless. Build your own.

As for wiring diagrams, google ACdelco TDS. Purchase a 3 day subscription for about $25 USD. You can access all factory holden service information and wiring diagrams. Save/print them as PDF to your PC so you have them after the 3 days.

I've recently been experimenting with ALDL and arduino. I've built several little test projects and have a pretty good understanding of, with my eventual goal to have a VT or VY cluster in my HZ that uses a delco 808 ECU (when I get around to it, I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment).
I can share more information about my arduino project but I think a raspberry pi might be more suitable for CAN bus?

The user who has helped me out a lot and has a huge range of useful posts if you search this forum is VL400. I see he hasn't been online for a while though.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the ford system. Other than for memory it is wired in a daisy chain betwee modules, if that makes any difference.

The VY dash will need coolant temp, oil light and check engine light information via ALDL. Everything else (speedo, tacho) is either directly wired or comes from other ALDL modules. You will therefor likely need something to convert speedo/tacho signal types from ford type to suit the cluster.

With AC you could easily have your raspberry pi/DIY PIM module listen for AC requests from the BCM and switch the ford pcm input, or send a packet on the ford bus depending however the ford system works.

On the VY the BCM runs the low speed fan. So you could have an input on the DIY PIM the ford pcm triggers, that causes your DIY PIM to send low fan on message to VY BCM, assuming the ford pcm drives the ford fan relay directly.
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

pman92 wrote: my eventual goal to have a VT or VY cluster in my HZ that uses a delco 808 ECU (when I get around to it, I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment).
not to hijack the thread... but you know when you use 12P v112 on your 808, it has built in support to send the VY dash packet directly to the dash and drive it? of course not all functions work even then.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Jayme wrote: not to hijack the thread... but you know when you use 12P v112 on your 808, it has built in support to send the VY dash packet directly to the dash and drive it? of course not all functions work even then.
I did find that out, but only after I had already started looking into how it actually works :lol:
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

If using VZ PIM, BCM and cluster... then you could still potentially use a BA ECU.

One method is to use a CAN enabled microcontroller to read the live broadcast data being sent from the BA ECU, and then translate this to GM specs.

The PIM will then pick the new live data.. to its little translation an fire that off to the ALDL line.

Alternatively is to scrap the whole PIM, and make a CAN->ALDL device.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726