Nintendo DS logger?

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
anomaly

Re: Nintendo DS logger?

Post by anomaly »

Another thing to be aware of before rushing out to get a DS..
There are 3 models at the moment, the original DS, the DS-lite, and the new DSi

The original DS and DS-Lite have slot2 slots, the DSi doesn't. However you won't see any of the DSi's around in AU just yet. But if you're searching ebay, and you find one overseas you like, for the purposes of this project make sure it's not a DSi
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Jayme wrote:I reckon option 3. If I were to go out and buy a DS i'd buy a homebrew cart anyway as I am a stingy pirate :x
Haha lol. You do know they are for home brew.. aldl loggers and such? I dont wanna jump on my high horse but have to note that we don't support piracy here (mainly cos i havnt gotten around to putting up any site rules yet)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yep, id buy the cart just for the homebrew side of it anyway. there are plenty of neat homegrown apps for the DS.
anomaly

Post by anomaly »

Antus: You mention the FTDI usbserial chips were known to work well with the ecu's quirky timings. Know of any other hw thats known to work? UART chips? Or should we be looking for an mcu and use gpio? Any thoughts before I go scouring the web for more info?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yep, I reckon a schematic and PCB could be knocked out for this project :) Sounds like a good one too!! I have access to a lovely pink DS lite for testing :lol:

PICs work for 8192 baud depending on what clock speed you use can get very close to the actual speed. Only need to be within a few % anyway. An atmega would also do the job but am more a microchip user than atmel.

The ECM/PCM does not have quirky timing as such, just a non-standard baud rate. Otherwise its plain old TTL logic out of the processor and converted to half duplex (single wire) 0-12v data on the ALDL bus.

FTDI make an integrated USB host controller and some PICs have USB also.

There are a few other ways to go about this project too. We could make a standalone ALDL data logger with SD card slot connected to the ALDL. It could have a pass through output for a PC or DS or any other device that has a serial port.
Apples

Post by Apples »

sounds like a good idear as long as costs dont blow out put me down for one
now I can justerfy to the minister of finances that getting a DS is not for games :D
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
delcosmurf

Post by delcosmurf »

awesome idea as i allways say you can never log to much when tuning the delco log log and log again i say.with something like this i could log all day without the need for the bulky laptop on the passenger seat and not have to worry about trying to hide it from view when im not in the car.and i could sit in a cafe and view my logs while having a latte without being classed the yuppy with a laptop.