ALDL Logger V2

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
VX L67 Getrag

Re: ALDL Logger V2

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

O.K. I tried connecting it without power just rs232 DB9 on side of VS PCM but logger didn't start, so then I tried giving pin 6 of DB9 which is lowest row with only 4 pins & on the right when looking into front of the female side power but logger still didn't switch on.

I'm guessing I need to give the DB9 plug a good earth too?
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Logger V2 has three grounds on it's 9DB input. Pins 5 & 7 and the DB9 rs232 shell. The DB9 rs232 shell on your PCM should be grounded as well as pin 5 so if your 12v power source is from the PCM you should not need to add an extra ground.

Edit: Make sure you are using a RS232 cable that has straight through wiring. pin 1 connected to pin 1. Pin 2 connected to pin 2 etc etc
Last edited by kojab on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Thats probably why I'm using a power source direct from fuse box to make sure with a DB9 in/out interceptor to supply power & now ground to pin 5, will report back!
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

O.K. so bit of an update, I tried giving pin7 earth from same source as the 12v & still doesn't turn logger on when the rs232 is connected to the PCM.... but if I just have the double ended db9 attachment I have made up to the logger it powers up fine!!!!

So this brings me to assume however the rs232 is wired inside the PCM isn't compatible with the logger, it's a Kalmaker genuine converted PCM if it makes any difference.
kojab

Post by kojab »

Just checked a genuine Kalmaker PCM and found that the rs232 female connecting nuts are not earthed to the PCM mother board but as expected pin 5 on the RS232 is grounded to the motherboard.

Did you read this edit I added above.
Edit: Make sure you are using a RS232 cable that has straight through wiring. pin 1 connected to pin 1. Pin 2 connected to pin 2 etc etc

There are several types of manufactured rs232 cables. Make sure yours is the straight through type.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Oh bugger, no I didn't see that edit...

I will have to get the multimeter out & test all my rs232 cables, unless there's an easier way?
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

This now has me a bit confused, when I look in the end of the male side of RS232 it has them numbered 1 to 5 in top row & 6 to 9 in bottom row but when you sit it on top of the female those same numbers are reversed & that is what the multimetre shows too?

So top right of male plug is 5, but top right of female is 1 looking into both of them!

In theory though when there plugged into each other then they would all have a complete circuit so I'm not sure thats correct for this setup or not?
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

O.k. so I remembered I had a 808 with RS232 that I moded myself with a comms board from this site & it worked with logger previously...

So the cable I had still left in that 808 should in theory work with VS Kalmaker & the logger but it still didn't so now it only leaves me to assume the kalmaker comms mod they have in the PCM isn't compatible???
kojab

Post by kojab »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:This now has me a bit confused, when I look in the end of the male side of RS232 it has them numbered 1 to 5 in top row & 6 to 9 in bottom row but when you sit it on top of the female those same numbers are reversed & that is what the multimetre shows too?

So top right of male plug is 5, but top right of female is 1 looking into both of them!

In theory though when there plugged into each other then they would all have a complete circuit so I'm not sure thats correct for this setup or not?

If your multimeter shows you have continuity with the same pin numbers on each end of the plugs the cable is a true RS232 cable

When you say it is not working, is it not powering the logger or just not communicating. What bin file are you using in the PCM?
kojab

Post by kojab »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:This now has me a bit confused, when I look in the end of the male side of RS232 it has them numbered 1 to 5 in top row & 6 to 9 in bottom row but when you sit it on top of the female those same numbers are reversed & that is what the multimetre shows too?

Sorry I should of said that all of your findings above are correct as the DB9 male and female plugs/sockets always have the same numbering sequence and the only thing that could be different is how they are wired.