ALDL Logger V2

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
VX L67 Getrag

Re: ALDL Logger V2

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Ahh cool thanks for the clarification!

The logger just isn't powering up with the RS232, but with same logger, pcm & car but using rs232 to obd/aldl cable it works as you'd expect!

But as previously mentioned if I use the power & earth adapter for rs232 at both ends the logger powers up when rs232 isn't connected to PCM, but as soon as you plug rs232 into the pcm the logger screen goes off!
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Ok do this. Carefully put two suitable pins in the Kalmaker's female RS232 connector, one at pin 5 (Ground) and one at pin 6 (normally not used). With your meter check for 12 Volts across the two pins. If you don't have 12v the Logger will not power up.

You might be trying to power the logger in a different way but I modified my PCM buy adding a switched 12v+ to pin 6 on the PCM's RS232 connector to power the Logger.

You will remember an earlier post by me from page 22
kojab wrote:Back now.

If your VS PCM has serial rs232 built in with a DB9 pin socket you can connect it directly to the male DB9 pin on the logger using a standard rs232 cable. You will also have to supply 12 volts to pin 6 on the logger to power it. An easy way to do this is to see if you can access pin 6 on the VS pcm's serial socket making sure its not connected to any thing and add 12 volts to it there.

Hope it makes sense.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

kojab wrote:Ok do this. Carefully put two suitable pins in the Kalmaker's female RS232 connector, one at pin 5 (Ground) and one at pin 6 (normally not used). With your meter check for 12 Volts across the two pins. If you don't have 12v the Logger will not power up when you connect your RS232 cable.

You might be trying to power the logger in a different way but I modified my PCM buy adding a switched 12v+ to pin 6 on the PCM's RS232 connector to power the Logger.

You will remember an earlier post by me from page 22
kojab wrote:Back now.

If your VS PCM has serial rs232 built in with a DB9 pin socket you can connect it directly to the male DB9 pin on the logger using a standard rs232 cable. You will also have to supply 12 volts to pin 6 on the logger to power it. An easy way to do this is to see if you can access pin 6 on the VS pcm's serial socket making sure its not connected to any thing and add 12 volts to it there.

Hope it makes sense.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah that all makes sense & will test those pins with pcm with ignition switched on in car, I have got 12v going to pin 6 from fuse box & then also got seperate earth going from fuse box to pin 7 with a straight thru rs232 adapter I made up!

Hence why I was saying with the adapter connected to the power & earth from fuse box & just to logger then the logger powers up fine... But as soon as I put that adapter still connected to fuse box & keeping logger alive into the rs232 socket in the side of the pcm the logger switches off!
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Sounds all too complicated :lol: With the logger shutting down your likely shorting the 5V out to ground. Not knowing what is on the kalmaker DB9 there may be some non standard connections causing problems. If this is the case you will need to make a cable that only has pins 2,3 and 5 connected and power the logger as below.

For powering the logger more simply for what your trying to do I tend to use the USB connection - either a USB power bank, a ciggy plug usb phone charger, phone OTG cable or even a laptop. Then can just plug in to a RS232 ECU via the DB9, not that I have tried on a VS kal PCM, mainly only '808s.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

and must use a serial mouse extension cable there are two different wiring jobbies on serial cables
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I finally got around to testing, with the usb to other 12v source & then connecting the rs232 cable it also turns lcd of logger off.

So with pin testing on female rs232 of VS pcm pin 1 & pin 5 have zero resistance to earth, none of the pins get 12v or 5v with ignition off or on but pin 2 for some reason put's out negative 9.5v with multimetre when ignition on.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

:punk: 2 things I can see you need to do:
1: connect this rs232 to your laptop and verify it works at all.
2: take your little double ender and cut all wires except 2,3,5. only those pins should go to pcm. Then pin 6 can go over to 12v on the fuse box. see if your logger works then. if it works, then one of the pins on your PCM are doing something they shouldnt.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I don't want to damage my adapter just yet seeing I have a couple of the same RS232(or DB9?) cable's & both measure 0 resistance pin to pin I will mod 1 of these first.

I have tried googling standard color wires for the cables but all seem to have different config's does anyone the the REGULAR color code for wires on the cable?
I have yellow, green, purple, black, grey, orange, brown, red & blue.

From what I think is the most common the 1's I need "MAY" be Red, Orange & Green(or possibly yellow) for the 3 wire/pins needed that have been previously mentioned?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

There is no standard RS232 colouring, only pins. You need to map the cable yourself with your multimeter.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396