antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

VS scanning on a test bench

Post by antus »

Ok, im playing with an VS ecu. Attempt #2 at making a memcal seems to have worked, all pins have connectivity this time, and Vl400 pointed out the diode on the techedge 8192 baud interface is backwards in the schematic! (the line should be away from the max232, not next to it!). So with that all sorted and with the security flag disabled in the rom (0x3818 bit 3 set) and setting checksum to disable (0xAA to byte 0x2002) things are looking up.

Mode 1 requests make it to the ecu, the expected rs232 echo is received at the pc, and then so is the data packet.

The problem I have is that Im also seeing these BCM packets:
0xF1 0x58 0x4A 0x57 0x42 0xD4

I understand these are probably messages for the BCM at 0xF1 (low speed fan control?) but what can be done to stop them interfearing with logging programs?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Re: VS scanning on a test bench

Post by Holden202T »

i too got my max 232 to work with the diode changed!! now i just need to get my memcal socketed so i can reprogram the chip!
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

F1 packets fixed. Holden202, try adding this command to your ADX. Add it to the startup macro after listen for silence to send device 0xF5 (the pcm) a mode 0x08 disable chatter command:
disablechatter.jpg
disablechatter.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 7649 times
In a car with a BCM you might need to send it one too. Not sure? (0xF1 0x56 0x08 0xB1)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

antus wrote:OkThe problem I have is that Im also seeing these BCM packets:
0xF1 0x58 0x4A 0x57 0x42 0xD4
Thats actually still the anti-theft message....and having it disabled should stop that from happening....bit three is the 4th bit as they start at bit 0. I think from memory you have actually changed bit 2 (the third bit).
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i was noticing in the log Antus sent me that vats flag was 'fail' when i was expecting it to be 'ok'
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Antus emailed me what he was going to set the options to and i skimmed over it saying it was ok, should have read it more carefully! Could just send the PCM a valid response :D All the anti-theft does is stop the injectors firing too.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

am i correct in that if you disable VATS you can use the pcm in a car without needing the bcm to give it the ok to start the engine ... eg. engine conversion into another car ?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Ahh, yeah, reburnt the rom with the next bit flipped instead, so now that makes that byte 0x0B. This has indeed stopped those spurious messages without sending the mode 0x08 chatter command, and now efilive 4 scans correctly, as well as scannerpro. (well, scanner pro does still get a truncated packet here or there and treat it as correct, and thus it looks like a 'glitch' but that seems to be normal for scanner pro :( )
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Holden202 wrote:am i correct in that if you disable VATS you can use the pcm in a car without needing the bcm to give it the ok to start the engine ... eg. engine conversion into another car ?
Thats correct, same as if you had not used the BCM in your FB, would need the security disabled. An engine conversion with no BCM and VATS still enabled, the engine will crank but never start as the injectors are not being fired. Anti-theft integrated into the ECM/PCM started in the VR commodores.

The only problem with the VS Ecotec is the BCM also controls the low speed fan, the PCM sends a frame requesting it on or off to the BCM. So the temp set point is still controlled by the PCM and hence adjustable.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

from what i can see of the vs wiring you can just wire the two fan speeds together and it will still control it that way, just loose the dual speed functionality..... not a big concern in my opinion ....

i used a VS fan in the FB as its slimmer than the previous models and it works fine as described above!