Barina SB Diagnosis / logging

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Barina SB Diagnosis / logging

Post by slewinson »

Hi all, I am a bit baffled by what I am reading - I have a 1997 SB Barina, multec MPFI C14SE with auto trans. I have searched these forums and what I see tells me that this vehicle should be OBD1 ALDL. If this is correct then I would assume that I should have a pin in location 9 of the OBD connector (OBDII style 16 pins). The connector has pins in locations 3,4,5,6 and 12 (if I remember correctly) and I can get the CEL flashing codes by bridging 5 & 6.

I have an ELM327 and have not been able to get any joy with it.

I am looking to confirm what the capabilities of the ECU are and what interface I require to diagnose and hopefully log data.

Thanks in advance.
Simon
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Barina SB Diagnosis / logging

Post by Charlescrown »

I don't know if your car is Delco but yes pin 9 is the data output if it is. I think the Barina was made in Europe? If that's the case it my be Motronic. I am sure someone will be better able to advice.
slewinson
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

As far as I can ascertain, it is a Delco Multec ECU. I need to get the time to look at the ECU to confirm but I am fairly sure about this.

Simon
slewinson
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

Ripped out the ECU today - P/N 16257119, memcal CBXD.

It looks like pin B7 from the ECU (terminal G on 10 pin ALDL I think) is connected to pin 7 of the OBDII connector as well as the immo and auto ECUs. Am I correct to think that this is the 8192 baud ALDL data line?

Thanks
Simon
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Is it a standard obd2 size/shape connector?

If it is i wouldnt expect it to be on that pin, but anything is possible.

Do you have a way to check voltage on the pin considering its probably a digital signal? If you can confirm its not more that 5v hook up an aldl cable and its ground and monitor chatter with vl400's delco flashtool and see if the data that comes back looks valid.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
slewinson
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

antus wrote:Is it a standard obd2 size/shape connector?

If it is i wouldnt expect it to be on that pin, but anything is possible.

Do you have a way to check voltage on the pin considering its probably a digital signal? If you can confirm its not more that 5v hook up an aldl cable and its ground and monitor chatter with vl400's delco flashtool and see if the data that comes back looks valid.
Will see if I can borrow a digital CRO from work. If not I have a multimeter and will have a look. Connector is 16 pin OBDII, and I traced the connections from the ECU with a multimeter. Pin B7 is bussed with the Auto trans ECU and the immobiliser, and definitely goes to pin 7. Pin 9 is vacant.

I have an ELM327 - can I use that by rewiring the K line? If not, I will try to cobble up an ALDL cable and see what happens. I assume that I should see some serial comms "broadcasts" on the bus with normal running/driving.

Thanks
Simon
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Nah cant use an elm. I just found some time to check the obd2 spec and it says pin 7 is always k-line. I reckon you'll find its k-line on that pin, not aldl (being an opel based vehicle).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
slewinson
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

antus wrote:Nah cant use an elm. I just found some time to check the obd2 spec and it says pin 7 is always k-line. I reckon you'll find its k-line on that pin, not aldl (being an opel based vehicle).
OK, if it is K line, then what do you suggest I use? I also have a Chinese vag can + K thingy that I have never managed to get working. Will hit up lord google again!

my local guy has a tablet based system that is not reading codes or resetting them reliably. It has shown tps as static on about 45% while the volts vary...

I am getting codes 22, 24 and 34. tps and map volts low, no vss signal. Checked tps and map with multimeter and they look fine. Vss is fed via the immo module to ECU, was disconnected but injumpered the pins and still no good. Given that the immo is not in the picture, I suspect that the ECU has been modded. Might need to buy another one with key and immo.

Interested in your thoughts on this.

Thanks
Simon
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Sorry, I dont know much about k-line. If anyone does or if you find something out, let us know.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

There is a TunerPro ADX I made for a Yamaha Waverunner here .. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1446

It is K-Line using a cheap VAG com ebay interface but I suspect a proprietary protocol implementation as requesting data didnt follow the normal ISO14230 format - to work out the ADX I logged the data being sent from the ECU to dash using a serial monitor program.

Most (or all?) elms support KWP2000, or K-Line. But you need to set it up, the VAG coms are a pass through device so much simpler to use initially.