V2 Data Logger ADX Engine RPM and MAT help

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
DixiePicker

V2 Data Logger ADX Engine RPM and MAT help

Post by DixiePicker »

Howdy All,

New to posting here and in the US.

I am using VL400's V2 Logger in a US car. 1993 3.1L OEM ECM. I have two items in the VALUES list of the ADX file. (ECM $A1)

1. The ENG SPD listed as the first item in the ADX VALUES list always reads 0. I cannot get the 2 byte RPM to function and the conversion is correct.

2. I found the V2 will not support a Look-up table. (As VL400 explained) My attempt to use MAT/IAT Deg C converted as X - 40 * 0.7 does function But as the V2 reads backwards as temp increases.

These variables function 100% in Tuner Pro file and on the TP display. MAT/IAT works ok with the Look-up table. My questions are:

What do I have wrong with Engine Speed? (There are 2 engine RPM variables in the Values. The RPM 25 works well but resolution is 25 RPM. This is not the one in question)
Would anyone know how to invert the MAT/IAT so it will function in the right direction?

I do appreciate your knowledge and time. I have put considerable time in this with little success on these two things.

Cheers,
Billy

Is there a published list of your vehicles that explain the Alpha to body and engine size/EFI? It would help me learn and understand the systems.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: V2 Data Logger ADX Engine RPM and MAT help

Post by VL400 »

billyg38120 wrote:1. The ENG SPD listed as the first item in the ADX VALUES list always reads 0. I cannot get the 2 byte RPM to function and the conversion is correct.
This one is easily solvable, the equation needs to be 983040 / X.
billyg38120 wrote:2. I found the V2 will not support a Look-up table. (As VL400 explained) My attempt to use MAT/IAT Deg C converted as X - 40 * 0.7 does function But as the V2 reads backwards as temp increases.
Being a non-linear function for this item its not as easy. Ideally a lookup as you have in TunerPro needs to be used, I have not implemented this function. For now though you can fudge it with 5500 / X. This will get something close for the linear portion of the table, so around 20-80 degC. I will need to work out a solution to this problem.

billyg38120 wrote:Is there a published list of your vehicles that explain the Alpha to body and engine size/EFI? It would help me learn and understand the systems.
There is very limited info on here for your model, the gearhead forums will have more US based info and may be able to answer your question.
DixiePicker

Post by DixiePicker »

Thank you for your response and knowledge. It is appreciated.

1. I have tried the conversion/equation as VL400 stated 983040 / X with the RPM blank. this was placed as the number "1" in the description so it would be 1st on the 8 parameter screen ect. I moved it to another place in the VALUES without luck.

2. Thanks for the equation for the MAT/IAT sensor. If the users in Australia don't need a look-up table don't put it in for my use. I do appreciate your help.

3. For the alpha and what body use I should clarify. In the US we use the following for GM vehicles:
F-Car is a Camaro or Firebird. Y-Car is the Corvette. C truck is a RWD and 2WD. K truck is 4wd. Trucks can be a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton with this body designation.

What I struggle with is the Austrailian cars. Such as what is the VN. V is RWD or N is a midsized pass car??
This is what I'm looking for. A VN would be (if so) a Holden Commodore 4 dr RWD V-6 or V-8. VN years 1991-2004? The Commodore was sold in the US as the Pontiac GTO with the 5.7 and a year later with the 6.0L LS V-8 4L60/65-E auto transmission RWD. This will help when I read and try to understand the Holden vehicle line up in the US.

Do the Australian vehicles have Emission requirements as the USA as OBD-2? OBD-2 started in 1996 here. Catalist Monitoring, Canister/Fuel Tank leak testing, no removable PROMs, and other on-board tests that fail and set pass flags?

Thanks for your help and NICE tools. I plan on moving my old truck with a 1227165 ECM from MAF to MAP using the 12P software. The calibrations are mostly listed a VN or V? as I am studying before I make the change.

UPDATE
I changed the Engine RPM and MAT/IAT to the equations stated, loaded the ADX, Saved, connected, Live View - Engine RPM and MAT/IAT read "INF". The conversion for Engine RPM 983040 / X was changed in Tuner PRo ADX and functions correct.
Any suggestions on Engine RPM? Yes I could use the RPM that has a 25 rpm per bit resolution. Or I can use the last 5th or 6th loop RPM which is late to calibrate spark and VE. Thanks.
Last edited by DixiePicker on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Regarding the V is for the commodore range and W for the long wheelbase sedan versions.
This should help a bit:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore
Obd2 didn't become mandatory in Australia to 2005/6, so vehicles before this were a mix, this is the case with the Pontiac GTO also, engine is OBD2 but instruments, abs, etc are all still Aldl based.
Canister fuel tank leak testing was not required in Australia but was fitted to the Pontiac GTO.
Hope this helps a little.