ls1 aldl logging

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
VRCALAIS.
cars: 1994 VR CALAIS 3.8L V6

ls1 aldl logging

Post by VRCALAIS. »

hello is there any free software for ls1 aldl logging?i have efi live pro and tuner pro but dont seem to work??
Jayme

Re: ls1 aldl logging

Post by Jayme »

you cannot log an LS1 with aldl! they are OBD2 VPW protocol! most cost effective option is to use an ELM327 cable.
VRCALAIS.
cars: 1994 VR CALAIS 3.8L V6

Post by VRCALAIS. »

i have a elm 327 cable from a few years back,just after a program i can use to read the codes.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Maybe this is a silly question, but doesn't an LS1 PCM have a PIM connecting it to the ALDL bus, so at least the BCM and PCM can talk to each other? Technically then, shouldn't it be possible for us to talk to the PCM via ALDL too?

Joe.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

nah. the pim isnt that smart.... it doesnt actually do the type of conversion you would need to talk directly to the pcm. it just listens for a few specific packets, then swaps bytes from them into a packet formatted for the other bus. EG: it requests individually Coolant temp and a few other PID's from them pcm over VPW, then shoves the bytes into the VT or VY formatted ALDL dash packet and sends to the cluster.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Jayme wrote:nah. the pim isnt that smart.... it doesnt actually do the type of conversion you would need to talk directly to the pcm. it just listens for a few specific packets, then swaps bytes from them into a packet formatted for the other bus. EG: it requests individually Coolant temp and a few other PID's from them pcm over VPW, then shoves the bytes into the VT or VY formatted ALDL dash packet and sends to the cluster.
OK, so basically the PIM's a protocol (and bus) converter, but with limited functionality. I'd have hoped it was a more universal/generic ALDL converter for the PCM. (Do we know for a fact what it's capable of? Any hidden talents there?)

Also, from your description, it seems like it's the master of communications between the PCM and the cluster, which would tend to imply specific (hence limited) functionality. It would also have to convey key-on information from the BCM to the PCM.

Joe.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

the bcm is the aldl bus master, but as far as the pcm is concerned, the PIM is performing the role of the PCM. the PIM just pretends to be the pcm and does everything it would normally do by converting the specific packets it needs between aldl and vpw. ive got a side by side chatter log of the ALDL bus and the VPW bus taken simultaneously. it just passes on the dash info and the security info mainly, didnt bother to look further into it. the vpw bus is rather quiet compared to the aldl bus, as only the pcm and pim are sitting on it.
as for hidden talents, no idea. it likely has some, but to my knowledge nobody has taken a good crack at the pim.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Jayme wrote:the bcm is the aldl bus master, but as far as the pcm is concerned, the PIM is performing the role of the PCM. the PIM just pretends to be the pcm and does everything it would normally do by converting the specific packets it needs between aldl and vpw. ive got a side by side chatter log of the ALDL bus and the VPW bus taken simultaneously. it just passes on the dash info and the security info mainly, didnt bother to look further into it. the vpw bus is rather quiet compared to the aldl bus, as only the pcm and pim are sitting on it.
as for hidden talents, no idea. it likely has some, but to my knowledge nobody has taken a good crack at the pim.
Im yet to attack the PIM iv got sitting here. Its been so long.. that I dont even remember if its an LS1 pim or a VZ V6 PIM :lol:

I dont think theres many hidden talents with the PIM, its just a converter. Although it is security linked with the BCM and ECU.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Jayme wrote:the bcm is the aldl bus master, but as far as the pcm is concerned, the PIM is performing the role of the PCM
I presume the last part of that sentence was meant to say "...BCM" ...

OK, I misinterpreted what you said earlier, that the PIM itself instigated the query of the instrument cluster data. So, it's still the normal situation of the BCM orchestrating all that guff.

Joe.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah sorry, I meant to say "the bcm is the aldl bus master, but as far as the BCM is concerned, the PIM is performing the role of the PCM"