Very new to ALDL data logging - help appreciated

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
Wood300
cars: 2001 VX Berlina L67s/c

Very new to ALDL data logging - help appreciated

Post by Wood300 »

I have just picked up a 2nd hand aldl data logger V1 and I'm learning to use it as I go. I'm Just a bit paranoid/concerned about stuffing something up!

I have a look at a couple of YouTube videos put up about the logger (mainly the V2), which has been helpful. I remember also seeing a video put up by The1 that was seemed to be a group conversation about certain aspects of TunerPro, although the sound didn't appear to work. Does anyone know of this or any other videos that me be of benefit for me to look into?

1. Just to confirm, the basic process is:

Plug the logger into the car and start up.
Select the adx file to use for logging (I've had VX S/C adx loaded for my use already)
Do I then just press record to start logging
I will be able to a see number items live on the screen while logging, by scrolling through?
Press record again at the end to finish recording the log before turning the car off.

I hope that all sound right and I'm not making myself look silly.

2. Also, with the "get cal" option, does that give me the ability to download the current tune (is that the bin file?) that my car is running on? (I'm running one of The1's nvram setups).

Is there anything I am missing or should be doing?

3. Finally, It is probably a long shot, but is there anyone in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne that would be willing to catch up for an hour or so and go through a couple of these things with me (as I said, I'm far better with hands-on learning than just reading). I'm happy to compensate for time if necessary, or even pay for the coffees.

I apologise if I'm wasting anyone's time with stupid questions, but I seem to learn far better in a hands-on environment than by reading documents. I am going back through all the FAQ documents, hoping to to pick up some more information. Thanks for any assistance taht you can provide, and please bear with me, this technology is still quite new to me, and I know newbs can be frustrating.

Thanks.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Very new to ALDL data logging - help appreciated

Post by antus »

Your general proces is right. Get cal gets the calibration part of the code so is good to use to edit the calibration but its not a bin which usually also contains the code. Note that the logger is not as advanced as tunerpro in what maths it can handle. Sometimes if the data looks wrong you may need to simplify and equasion in the adx.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Wood300
cars: 2001 VX Berlina L67s/c

Post by Wood300 »

Thank you Antus. Your help is appreciated. I absolutely love this logger - it is going to be so handy once I get my head around this whole process. I'm slowly getting my head around it.

I didn't even think to look at what was on the sd card - so now I have the pdf instructions for the logger and adding a wideband (way down the track!).

Could I just confirm, I'm running The1's enhanced tune on a nvram. I have a VX Berlina supercharged, So do I just select the A5.adx that's on the sd card to log?

Finally, is there any benefit to using the passive adx for any particular sort of logging (A5PASS.adx).

Thanks again for the help.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep that sounds about right, once you save load the adx, then save it, it keeps loading the same one each time it boots.