Interpreting data. VS s3 Log

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: Interpreting data. VS s3 Log

Post by MAGP »

I meant with the engine as in being installed correctly.
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

MAGP wrote:I meant with the engine as in being installed correctly.
Yes as far as I'm aware. I've set it to 10 deg btdc in diagnostic mode. Changed the fpr last night and it still does it. Really thinking the dizzy is my last resort
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

And the cam sensor is synced with cylinder 1?
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Dylan wrote:And the cam sensor is synced with cylinder 1?
If the distributor is installed correctly the cam sensor should be synced correctly unless the chopper wheel is bent or the pickups are not functioning properly.
I had a similar thing with mine yeas ago, my engine was a crate motor/surplus stock, I fitted it and it was a pain to get started but once it started it ran well. I checked the distributor base timing and it was correct but it was hard to turn because the wiring loom was dragging on the manifold. Took the distributor out and realigned the body so the wiring was well away from the manifold didn't have the starting issue after that.
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

Yeah it's not giving any fault codes now so I assume it's getting the cam sensor signal as it should. I just fitted the dizzy and lined number 1 up with the mark in the dizzy as per the gmh diagrams.

Is it possible to buy the cam and Hall effect sensor separated to the dizzy? Thinking it may be a Hall effect issue. Sometimes it starts first crank, other times it's a dog. Once it's running it's perfect- that's what's really getting to me lol

Sometimes when cranking it'll backfire through the intake (although a very small backire)
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Yes you can Jaycar stock them. Been a few years though since I have. Were around $30 from memory.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

efi hardware has them too
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Think there's are on a new plae to Jaycar is just the sensor need to fit to your stock plate. Bit of mucking around.
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

Thank everyone. I've managed to score a second hand dizzy off a car that was running/starting perfectly. I'll fit it wen I get a chance (hopefully over the weekend) and report back.

Now runs flawlessly on both gas and petrol apart from starting sometimes. Still no pattern emerging, sometimes it starts immediately other times it's really difficult
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

I finally managed to get the new dizzy fitted. It's exactly the same. Also tried another coil and ignition module.

Since my last post I've had a memcal burnt by Joe at Ace Performance Tuning to suit my setup (thanks joe).
I though the hard starting may have been a problem with the original tune, but it doesn't seem to be.

Now it very rarely starts as soon as i hit the key. If i crank it and stab the throttle quickly it'll start and runs poorly for a little while (sometimes up to 30 seconds) but it always clears up and runs extremely well afterwards. It seems to do it whether it's hot or cold, but it's definitely worse when it's cold and sometimes stalls when it's running rough.

I'm starting to think it's another issue altogether, maybe the IAC? Maybe somehow I've messed up with the wiring somewhere?