SOLVED - ALDL Logging issues - Can't detect heartbeat

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
Retr0
cars: VY Commodore

SOLVED - ALDL Logging issues - Can't detect heartbeat

Post by Retr0 »

Hi Guys,

Sort of new to this, been using this forum and others to research how to make my own cable, etc etc.

Car is a VY Commodore.

I went down the path of this post: https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewt ... f=3&t=3595

Have used a 1k resistor and signal diode as per the post.

Drivers appear to be good, and are genuine up to date ftdi drivers.

Using EFIliveV4, I can pick up chatter by clicking the auto detect chatter button, and I can display ALDL chatter without issues.

HOWEVER, when I go to read the engine data and dtc's and even the other 2 macro's, I can't pick up a heartbeat.

Incidentally, when using TunerProRT the program can't detect my newly made cable when you test the cable.

What have I done wrong?

Kind Regards,
Retr0
Last edited by Retr0 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delcowizzid

Re: ALDL Logging issues - Can't detect heartbeat

Post by delcowizzid »

Those boards don't really work with vx vy to slow to detect heartbeat with the very busy aldl data bus
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Retr0

Post by Retr0 »

How come other people have been able to use this and other boards using the same ftdi chip without issues? Should I really be going down the max232 path for vx and vy?

Cheers for the reply btw :thumbup:
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Some people have had more luck than others. I havnt used this method post the ftdi clone saga, and ive recently discovered line capacitance is another thing can really mess with serial data timings while playing with a new vpw bench setup. The problem with digital signals is that they work untill they dont and its really hard to know how close to the voltage and timing thresholds you are without a scope or logic analyser. Ive seen these work and not work in threads here but no conclusive answers, sorry.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

For Vr vs and high-speed comms in vn vp ecus etc they work but vx vy I can't get them to detect heartbeat with all the modules talking so can't silence the data bus to connect
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

The USA guys on gearhead Efi have the same issue with later model cars with extra modules and digital dashes same deal so much happening on the aldl bus that the clone boards don't respond fast enough to fire off a command in time
Retr0

Post by Retr0 »

I've got one of these at home:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FTDI-US232R- ... 0005.m1851232

If I go down the max232 chip techedge circuit will I be able to get something that works? It's supposed to be a genuine FTDI cables, I brought it years ago, never ever used it though...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It might work, but its not just the chip - how you've implemented the analog circuity is part of it too and dont rule out that there also might be a problem in your car wiring or noise on the vehicle data bus. Our interfaces have the most noise rejection if you want to rule out interface problems (most the cheaper ones are the design you link), but since your keen to make it yourself I'd say give it a shot and see what happens. Keep the wiring neat and short.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Retr0

Post by Retr0 »

Topic solved:

In case anyone comes looking, it was the cable.