Xdl for VY V6 - what do you see ?

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Xdl for VY V6 - what do you see ?

Post by immortality »

Yep, most are crap. Genuine Bosch or Delphi O2 sensors for reliability/longevity.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Does the temp sensor reading look correct? That would be my first thing to investigate.

The low speed fan code will be there if you have used TunerPro or similar to log the car.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

VL400 wrote:Does the temp sensor reading look correct? That would be my first thing to investigate.

The low speed fan code will be there if you have used TunerPro or similar to log the car.
It appears to be correct on the scanner tool. Voltage was around 1.95v for temp reading of 206F when the fans came on. On the dash it sits at the usual place.

Unfortunately at the time we could not change the reading to Celsius which I was more familiar with.
OZ38
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Post by OZ38 »

Whatever is wrong is getting worse now. Cold starts are seeing it flare to about 1500rpm (fairly normal) then die down to under 400rpm & stall/die. Then restart sees it flare again to 1500-1800rpm then die down to 400-500rpm & struggle to run before crawling up to about 850rpm.
I can't work out what is affecting the cold starts or what is stopping it from going into closed loop.
Drove the 2.5 hrs to the city this arvo to buy two more brand name 02 sensors (ngk), as the CEL keeps coming back up after clearing it.
Used 11.4 litres per 100k's as compared with 8.8 litres per 100k's from 3 days earlier.
It is really trying my patience now lol.
OZ38
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Post by OZ38 »

immortality wrote:Yep, most are crap. Genuine Bosch or Delphi O2 sensors for reliability/longevity.
Found out today Holden no longer will stock the genuine 2 wire 02 sensors. They have no re-order in place on quite a few parts now they are out of stock. I suppose it had to happen now the last ecotecs roll off some 14 years ago.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I've been getting mine from evilbay for years, have been cheaper than the Holden stealerships since forever.
OZ38
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Post by OZ38 »

immortality wrote:I've been getting mine from evilbay for years, have been cheaper than the Holden stealerships since forever.
These current new 02 sensor I fitted a week ago were from evilbay. Only $54 for the pair posted. Where as the ones from Veales here (ngk brand) $141 for the pair pick up.
Hoping they fix the CEL fault.
immortality

Post by immortality »

All of mine have been 4 wire so have always managed to pick up Delphi O2 sensors for a decent price. I'll probably convert the 2 wire O2 sensor on the Senator to a 4 wire one when it's time to replace.
OZ38
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Post by OZ38 »

Well the change out list has still not solve the rough idling & cold start dying issues.
Lets see I have cleaned-
K&N Filter, IAT, MAF, TB.
I have replaced -
Sparkplugs (twice now)
Ignition leads (twice now also)
All Coils.
DFI unit.
Coolant Temp Sensor (ecu).
IAC stepper motor.
02 Sensors (twice now, the second new pair stopped the CEL warning coming up)
Fuel Filter.
I have check fuel pressure at idle & above idle. Sits around 46 psi.
I have checked for vacuum leaks.
I have put scan tools on and found no faults up now.
Using scan tool I have done one cylinder at a time injector shut down. All six test still average rpm at close to 600rpm. So no real noticeable difference between cylinders.
I have run injector cleaner through the last two tank fulls of fuel.
When I change the plugs & leads for the second time, I was clutching at the possibility that maybe I have been given a dud sparkplug or lead. I used bosch platinum sparks & bosch low resistance hp lead set second time round.
I check the plugs that came out. All were strangely brown in colour ? I wondered could that be a sign or is it just the use of the injector cleaner.
Another strange thing now also is this engine never uses oil. After a couple of 250km runs in succession (4) I noticed it has lost/used about half a litre plus in oil.
Suppose the only next thing to try is compression testing. If it was leaking LIM seals I thought there might be some other signs like contaminated engine coolant or the loss of coolant, or discoloured engine oil.

Pic of plugs attached.
Attachments
20180411_170144.jpg
20180411_170217.jpg
immortality

Post by immortality »

EGR or PCV valve?

From personal experience, a bad PCV valve will allow the intake to suck up a heap of oil although I've never lost that much oil in such a short period.