Turning on Digital Speedo - VY VZ OSE Flash

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
Retr0
cars: VY Commodore

Turning on Digital Speedo - VY VZ OSE Flash

Post by Retr0 »

So I'm trying to turn on the digital Speedo in my VY Series 1 Cluster.

Here are 2 screenshots of the hexadecimal location to turn this on:
DigitalSpeedo.JPG
DigitalSpeedo.JPG (63.32 KiB) Viewed 7432 times
Digital Speedo Hex Workshop.JPG
So my question is pretty simple: what would the hexidecimal command be to change that bit from 00 to 01 using OSE Flash?

Cheer's guys!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Turning on Digital Speedo - VY VZ OSE Flash

Post by antus »

I cant give you the answer your looking for because I dont know, but I believe it'd be a security challenge then something like an aldl write with a length of 1 to that address with payload of 01. To get it though you'd probably want to set police mode with a tech 2 while logging with the oseflashtool then post the logs up here for us to pull apart. There probably would be a lot in common with the security challenge of the vy pcm, and probably the aldl write too. It probably wouldnt be too hard to figure out.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Retr0

Post by Retr0 »

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Tech2, BUT. Last night I jumped into the old Dr. Who internet time machine and found a copy of that special arrow program that I've seen quite a few people talking about.

Unfortunately it's giving me timeout issues, not sure if it's because I require a login or not but I'm pretty sure it's because of my cable as per my previous threads: https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewt ... =10&t=5718 I've also been chatting to Antus via pm about buying a cable in the near future for those that are potentially wondering. Once I get the cable sorted, I guess i'll then be able to use EFI live or OSEFlash to monitor the chatter as I make the change and write it to the cluster.

In the meantime I was thinking of making a cable using a floppy disk ribbon as per one of the posts on the ls1 forums and get direct access to the cluster over the weekend, but will that mean I won't be able to listen to any chatter? If so is there a program similar to the likes of wireshark that can listen in to the Com port the OBD cable is connected to on the computer that can potentially capture the hex command it sends to the cluster?
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

If your happy looking at hex and bins, then youll go better and faster by just making the change direct to the eeprom and following the locations Iv posted up in that thread you took a snippit of. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

The Arrow will work with Antus cable mate. Wont need password either, just ignore
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Anyone ever found the arrow software?
Retr0

Post by Retr0 »

Tazzi wrote:If your happy looking at hex and bins, then youll go better and faster by just making the change direct to the eeprom and following the locations Iv posted up in that thread you took a snippit of. :thumbup:
I haven't got a programmer or clip, YET. I was going to give the floppy disk cable a go given that is my cheapest option to keep me ammused this weekend, should I still have issues I'll just go and get a cable from Antus (Or even you if you throw in free beers :lol:), I'm going to require one sooner or later anyways...

I'm assuming I can't get an eeprom dump from connecting up to the cluster and that I have to use a clip/desolder eeprom off and hook it into a programmer?
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Unless that floppy disk cable has some sort of logic/device connected to it.. its not going to be of much help.

Eeprom programmers are dime a dozen on fleabay, they also pretty cheap for basic ones. My first ever one was $12.

When it comes to playing with electronics, trying to cut costs will almost always cause misery. You'll want to also purchase an eeprom clip so you don't end up melting half the board away trying to remove the eeprom.
At no point should a soldering iron need to go near a board. Just clip on.. and away you go. Thats how I did it back in the day. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Retr0

Post by Retr0 »

Will have to look into Tazzi!

In the meantime I have made a test bench setup and it isn't powering on the cluster. The LS1 forums has on the cluster end Pin 1 as Ground, Pins 2 and 7 V+ (Battery and Ignition I presume), and Pin 12 as UART SERIAL ALDL. After doing some digging on the commodore forums I found a wiring diagram that's saying Pin 1 as Battery, Pin 2 as UART Serial, Pin 17 as Ground and Pin 20 as Ignition...

I obviously have it setup like the LS1 forums so I'm pressuming it's wrong, Cluster still works when it's put into the car so I'll grab the multimeter out and test the pinouts on the car in the meantime.

I'm powering the circuit using a small 12v battery btw.

EDIT: Commodore Forums - 1 | LS1 forums - 0
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

Dylan wrote:Anyone ever found the arrow software?
been here since 2015 when i first uploaded it.

http://www.vyssute.com/downloads/VY-Dash/

Word of warning, u can corrupt the dash config if you send it silly things or apply it to vz clusters.