vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vs l67 rattle high rpm

Post by vlad01 »

Check the valve springs, its possible that they could be floating or or doing something weird when under boost as boost effectively reduces apparent spring pressure. If they are stock, there is a good chance they are weak. Many stock springs fail when used with 1.9 rockers. Also check that the correct retaining plate supplied with the rockers are fitted as the stock ones hit the pushrods and rattle like crazy but they will rattle all of the time blower or not, unlikely but worth looking at.

Also check intake and blower gaskets/seals at they might be leaking and fluttering which makes a buzzing or squealing sound or anything in between.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

Thanks for some more idea's vlad01.

I talked my brother into installing his 5% overdriven balancer to his car so I can get a free balancer to try.

I recently removed the lim to port and block off coolant holes and fit a mat sensor, I used sealant on the the lim gaskets and just sealant between lim and charger and torqued to specification have also check for vac leaks.

I installed the rockers with the supplied retainer's from mace i have also checked the push rods for rubbing and straightness all good.

If the rattle is still there after the balancer swap I will look into valve spring replacement thanks.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah the springs are worth looking at. Had them break before after 1.9 rockers were installed. Let us know how you go.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

changed the balancer today still has the rattle, going to try the next thing on the list valve springs.
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

Change the valve spring's today and put the standard pushrods rockers and cradles to eliminate the mace rockers and it still rattles.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Balance shaft bearing maybe or lean backfiring into the inlet
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

delcowizzid wrote:Balance shaft bearing maybe or lean backfiring into the inlet
Balance shaft has been disabled, wideband AFR reads 10.0 thanks.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Probably not what you want to hear, but I’ve heard a couple like this that have turned out to be cracked or damaged piston lands. Symptoms were very similar to what you’re describing.
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

Would that only rattle when boosting, because I can remove the supercharger belt and rev to 6000rpm and it doesn't rattle at all while driving.
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

I know its a bit late but I have heard people having clearance issues when fitting double row timing chains on ecotecs. This is one of them I have read on one site.

You may also encounter clearance issues with the double roller where it will foul and rub on the oil pump housing. One way is to machine down/surface grind your oil pump housing plate approx 0.070" from memory or use 2 'GM' timing cover gaskets to space it out a little.