Vs v8 scanning help

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
Nitro Worms

Vs v8 scanning help

Post by Nitro Worms »

Hi,
A friend has a 96 Vs v8 series 2 manual sedan and he had a mechanic that no longer contactable raise comp, and put in a chip torque memcal, 40lb injectors along with cam and various other mods like exhaust, manifold, and fuel pressure regulator.

He said the car was going ok for a while but started fouling plugs and running crap.

He took the car to a few other mechanics around town but none know whats wrong with the car.

Its been a few years since the car has ran now and he asked if i can help him try fix it.

10 years or so ago I modified my own car ecu with the nvram from here and the comms to suit the 808 delco with 12p so have a little knowledge of that but I dont know where to start with helping my friend try to scan all his sensors to check them.

His ecu is the 16206305 running whatever memcal chip torque sent him.
We have no tech1 or any scan tools to look at the sensors. Is there any way I could try look at the outputs by putting my nvrammed 808 ecu into his car and use my laptop and tunerpro Rt as a scan tool for the sensors? Or is there another easier way?
Thanks
Nitro Worms

Re: Vs v8 scanning help

Post by Nitro Worms »

I will be starting from scratch with trying to figure out whats wrong. The plan of attack will be to start with basics like fuel pressure, checking comp, checking injector pulses with test light, spark, and hopefully the sensor outputs and see what I’m dealing with.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

This explains the differences between the two ECM's:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14
Do you know much about the cam specs?
40lb/hr is a rather large injector, unless it was tuned properly, this could cause the over-fueling.
Nitro Worms

Post by Nitro Worms »

I think he has the cam card, Which will be handy. I have not seen the car as yet but will be going in today to have a look at it. He said the work done was some type of package where the injectors and chip torque memcal were supplied and the cam part number they had to buy themselves.

I will need to try find out if he has a tune issue or maybe even rubbed lobes or some type of sensor fault. Ideally I will get him to switch over to the nvram real time setup from here then I could get it decent enough to drive with my limited street tuning experience gained with my VP 808 ecu and tunerpro.

I use a normal usb printer cable to hook my laptop to my 808 ecu but his car has the bigger plug under dash and I dont have a cable to plug into that obd1 or obd2 port or whatever it is.

Are these cables still for sale here? Quick look on ebay and I see a western Australia company selling them and the guys name jason. But I dont know if thats vl400 or one of the guys from here or not. I have been away from this site for years and not familiar with whos in charge of selling what now.
Nitro Worms

Post by Nitro Worms »

I had a look at that link you posted but I am having trouble figuring out if it was saying I could unplug the ecu in my friends car and plug my 808 in ?

I have soldered the wires into my 808 and have the usb port rs232 comms attached to my ecu.

Trying to figure out if i need to buy the propper aldl cable or if i could just plug my modded 808 in and check sensor outputs with my usb cable as i do on my car?

His ecu is the manual type. with BMZL on sticker.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

You would have the earlier ALDL connector.
Cable and hardware available here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3616
That WA source is not PCMHacking. Ryan (VL400) has not been active here for some years.
If you have the board for the higher Baud rate the ECM swap should be plug and play.
Nitro Worms

Post by Nitro Worms »

ok thanks for that. I will see what I can see on his sensors with my 808 and high speed comms board.
Nitro Worms

Post by Nitro Worms »

Had a look at the car and got him to start it up, ran it for 20 seconds and turned it off, number 1 pot was cold and number 2 was very slightly warmer the other pots were hotter towards rear and cooler towards front. Put new plug in cylinder 1 and warmed it up. Its very rich. High 11’s with obvious misfire pops out exhaust randomly.

Held it at 4,000rpm for a while and as engine became hotter it slowly started leaning off to mid 12’s
and sounded okay ish but still with random pops out exhaust. Then all of a sudden it went to shit with many pops out exhaust and the engine struggled to maintain power like it lost a few cylinders. Bridging diagnostic pins gave no codes, ie 12

We plugged my modded 808 ecu in and turned key 2 clicks and opened tunerpro and the sensors appeared to be reading on the tunerpro dash but I didnt try to start it as I dont have a tune for his car to try get some sort of log.

So its rich and fouling plugs which are the bp6efs rather than the resister type. He has a msd coil, factory type ignition module. He said he has gone through a couple of those modules so not sure if that coil is wrong that he has on there.

I got the number off chip torque memcal so the plan is to call them and see if they can tell me what tune is in there. Definitely rich.I’m not sure why the engine went downhill so fast once it got hotter, I think I need to try get a log of it happening to get more clues.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

A resistor plug will definitely help with fouling. That's what it's for. But there are limits...
Is it a HVC or an oil filled coil. The module is only compatible with medium energy output coils. Have a look inside the distributor cap. That popping could be caused by carbon tracks between the terminal posts.
Is the fuel regulator holding vacuum. A leaking reg. will cause richness.
Did you get the cam specs. If not, could you gauge the cam duration by the idle.
When the engine starts to run rough, does the idle 'hunt' or surge.
Nitro Worms

Post by Nitro Worms »

Its some type of msd coil without oil and looked a bit old and daggy. I might try find out which coil might be better. I know my turbo 383 holden vp went better and stopped fouling plugs when rich after fitting the burnout model or whatever his strongest one was, ignition module off ebay that guy mods along with mec 216 or whatever number it is coil.

He has one of those adjustable regs with guage on it and it flicks around so fast on the needle its hard to tell when its running the actual psi. I didnt disconect the vac line but I can try that and see. I backed reg pressure off fully on the knob and it was already backed off as far as it could go so that idea didnt work haha. I will check that dizzy cap and see.