ALDL Logger

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: ALDL Logger

Post by immortality »

got a couple of Q's

When logging the VX each time I connect the logger I get different dash warning lights coming up.

Today the car wouldn't start? Disconnected the logger (physically) and the car started?? then plugged it it, connected etc and went for a drive but the steering feels very heavy?? (went and picked up my pies and coffee and checked the power steering fluid reservoir) re-started the car and the steering feels fine. It's a VX calais which has some fancy steering system in it which always feels very light but I'm wondering if the PCM controls the steering system in any way?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yeah that will all happen when logging on the later models. The logger (or even a PC) silences the bus and uses the bus solely for requesting and receiving data. All the modules can no longer listen to the chatter, the BCM cannot gets its data (one of which is VATS so you cant start logging too quickly), the dash gets no data so throws errors etc etc. The variable power steer is BCM controlled, but without being able to get the speed from the PCM over the normal ALDL comms it cannot control it.

The solution is using the passive logging feature but its very slow. There is around 128ms of free bus time which the logger can search out, get a data request and response in and then go back to waiting for it. Trouble is your only going to get about 1.6Hz logging both engine and trans messages, or about 3Hz logging only one of them. Try using the file "A5_PassD.adx" and see how it goes, its a bit experimental still.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Passive logging sounds like a it may be a go, if it's engine data only it may not be to bad. I'll have a look at that ADX and see what you have done.

Is there any way you can alter the variable power steer via the BCM? I find it way to light how it comes from the factory.
immortality

Post by immortality »

VL400 wrote: The solution is using the passive logging feature but its very slow. There is around 128ms of free bus time which the logger can search out, get a data request and response in and then go back to waiting for it. Trouble is your only going to get about 1.6Hz logging both engine and trans messages, or about 3Hz logging only one of them. Try using the file "A5_PassD.adx" and see how it goes, its a bit experimental still.

Having a look at your passive ADX above, it seems the change is in the enable chatter command?
VL400

Post by VL400 »

The main change is the log mode bit mask item, it is set to 1 for passive logging.

This tells the logger to search out the heartbeat item, and when found send a data request. It also ignores the disable/enable chatter commands. Providing there is enough free time for the send and receive logging commands the bus chatter will continue like normal.
immortality

Post by immortality »

LOL, I missed that one.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

can you make me a passive vx flash adx vl400 im keen to test
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality

Post by immortality »

How do you set it to only request engine data?
VL400

Post by VL400 »

delcowizzid wrote:can you make me a passive vx flash adx vl400 im keen to test
In your existing ADX just set the log mode bit mask and change the silence length to 15ms from 50ms.

immortality wrote:How do you set it to only request engine data?
Change the DataRequest2 and DataProcess2 unique ID to some other name - make it say TransDataReq and TransDataProc. The logger ignores them but the ADX can easily be reverted back.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Thanks VL400, I'll try that with my ADX and see how it goes.