Ecu Hardware Modifications
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Silly question time

Post by monaro308 »

I had a "thought" the other night when reading about the lastest ducati Bayliss sports bike.

An 808/082 ECU with a memory chip able to store vast amounts of data,wired up running a USB port.
Plug in the laptop to the USB and do a data dump whenever you want.
Silly question or not? :roll:
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Silly question time

Post by VL400 »

There are no silly questions around here and as it would happen i just fired up the prototype USB ALDL board for the first time yesterday to do this very thing. At the moment the 808 comms board does this task over RS232.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i have a feeling monaro308 is suggesting an interface in the 808 which would allow you to plug a memory stick in to collect data ?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I dont think it'd be that hard. Im sure Vl400 could do it :) It would probably mean adding some kind of i2c eeprom memory or something like that, so that you can store more data than you can access in the limited HC11s address space, and using 1 free i/o line somewhere.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i have no doubt VL400 can do it either, but you'll probably have to get in line :D i think his list of 'projects' is longer than his arm already :S
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yeah that makes more sense now! haha The list is large, but am getting through it slowly :)

The idea holden202 and I have been throwing about is a black box that sits on the ALDL line and just datalogs to a SD memory card. But your limited to 8192 baud. The early ECMs (808/082) had all the bus lines on the large data connector so it was easy to access, newer PCMs dropped that though. Would give far faster logging rates if it was sitting directly on the data bus.
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Yeah 202 i was thinking along those lines also,but then thought if you just plug in a memory stick,how do access the data?
So i stayed with the just doing the data dump to a laptop.
I like datalogging but having to make sure the battery in the lappy is fully charged etc, and carrying it around.
It would be good to do a data dump anytime you like and then having a look over it in your own time and comfort.
The idea of the black box to SD card is a good one VL as alot of times i will just take the munro for a spin and might hear a ping or it runs a little fluffy and would like to suss it out.
cheers all
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well my reason for asking VL400 about it was because i have an Innovate SSI-4 which is a 4 channel data logger .... problem is it needs a lappy to log ....

so i thought if there was a way to program a micro controller to send a request to the data logger and then it would stream the serial data into a file on the SD card ......

if you get that to work then theres really no reason why you can't program it to get a aldl data stream and pump it to the sd card ....

see my need for the datlogger is in a car i plan to drag race, so i want to flick a switch in the staging lane, do my run then see what happened on the laptop back in the pits .... i can have a laptop in the car but as you point out, carrying it around and in my case mounting it in the car would be a pain in the ass, a small black box recorder would be a much nicer option.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ive been thinking about this. I have used atmel avr micros before, and recon it wouldnt take too much to hack one up to do this. They set the baud rate with the equasion:

UBRR=((f_clk/(BaudRate*16))-1)

f_clk is crystal speed in hz, and answer is rounded to a whole number. So One of them could do 8192 baud, and be interfaced direct without the max232 to the main cpu.

They can also access sdcards, example code here:
http://www.avrrepository.com/samplecode ... /main.html

Code could be compiled to support the fat filesystem on the sdcard and the device could be installed in the ecu and keep sending log requests and save the response to the sdcard.

if an sdcard sensor with a card present switch was used that could be wired to a digital i/o line so that when no card is present the logger is not active. That way you could just plug in the sdcard and drive, or unplug it and use a pc.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

haha now we are talking sounds bloody good to me.good if you had kids who use the car too :D there was a compony that sells a similar thing for monitoring how the kids drive the car had rpm and speed stored in it so you can see if its been thrashed
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem