Hot rodding a 27C128 dinosaur

Ecu Hardware Modifications
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Re: Hot rodding a 27C128 dinosaur

Post by krusty »

delcowizzid wrote:did you erase it for 5-6 minutes in the uv eraiser
I blank checked it 5 minutes after I finished soldering the new EEPROM to the memcal base and it showed all FF. Tried to write OSE$12P tune to it but it stopped 25 percent of the way.

I then cooked it on the uv light (are you havin a lend of me Delco?) but I think after doing it that iv erasing an EEPROM may be a no no?

I'm going to test all my joins between the EEPROM and memcal base tonight but am pretty sure of something was incomplete I wouldn't have been able to complete a successful blank check in the first place. Can you confirm that for me
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

are you burning an actual full 12p bin not just the cal section saved in tunerpro after sucking out the tune to tunerpro from the ecu.bad connections on the memcal can do it too.is the eprom round the right way in the memcal and in the programmer what sort of programmer and what chip is it set to burn in the software.does the eprom have a window in it LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

When it fails - depending on software - it may say something like "expected 0xFF chip: 0xFE" or similar. This would indicate a bad connection. Its likely that you have a bad chip, either from the beginning or have melted one of the interconnects inside it. Ive done this a few times, its easy to do... the interconnects from the legs to the actual IC are tiny and the heat goes straight up the leg to the solder point inside the chip and it doesnt take much for one of the wires to fall off. If that happens its the end of the chip. Another time I saw heat melt the connection inside the memcal leg a little.. It'd work in the burner but not in the ecu. Then I noticed that if I pushed the whole memcal to one side it'd run untill I let go. Another thing to be mindfull of.

It sounds to me like your chip is toast, probably an address line interconnect dead, so when you blank check you read FF in every byte - just that some of them are the wrong bytes - and when you start writing data it becomes noticable.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

The 27c256b is an eprom, not eeprom unless i'm mistaken. If it has a glass window then it needs uv to blank, if there's no window then you have a otp chip which is not going to be much use to you.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah thats why i asked if it had a window
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
krusty

Post by krusty »

It has a window lol. EPROM it is then! What do ya expect for 70v each posted lol

Yeah Antus, good chance I was too slow with my soldering and cooked something
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

If you have another EPROM try programming it before soldering to the memcal, can then confirm the programmer and chips are ok. Might also be easier to solder in IC sockets instead of the EPROM.
krusty

Post by krusty »

VL400 wrote:If you have another EPROM try programming it before soldering to the memcal, can then confirm the programmer and chips are ok. Might also be easier to solder in IC sockets instead of the EPROM.
I'm going to grab some sockets and solder one in. Much more hassle free by the sounds of it