antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: ALDL interface circuit

Post by antus »

those transistors should be suitable.. general purpose NPN type like you need.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
stocky

Post by stocky »

still having no luck with this. i rebuilt my circuit board and am fairly sure its all correct, however it does nothing when plugged in. do i need the engine running, or just ignition on for aldl to start?

47:50.693: Start macro: Common Dyno Setup: DYNO
47:50.915: Com timeout: Expecting frame header byte
47:50.920: Error: No echo received from MAX232
47:51.136: Com timeout: Expecting frame header byte
47:51.354: Com timeout: Expecting frame header byte
47:51.360: Error: No echo received from MAX232
47:51.576: Com timeout: Expecting frame header byte
47:51.793: Com timeout: Expecting frame header byte
47:51.798: Error: No echo received from MAX232
47:52.013: Com timeout: Expecting frame header byte
47:52.025: Stop macro: Common Dyno Setup: DYNO
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

only need ignition on so all the dash lights are on.are you taking power from the ALDL plug lower right hand pin maybe check it has 12v on it .got picks of your circuit :mrgreen:
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
stocky

Post by stocky »

yeah im getting power from there. 12V, and i think 5V from the other data line. will try get a picture up soon but you wont be able to tell much from it. ill go over it with the multimeter later to see if its all fine
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

What EFILive config are you using? Is it a VR or VS your connecting to?? The VS has a different device ID to a VR so have to make sure thats correct. VR is $F4 and VS is $F5.

ALso, ScannerPro is a good freeware option to scan/log ALDL. There are working files available here.. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29 for VR and VS.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i presume hes logging his VS V8 so the efilive gmh-vr68vs8 definition should work.the transistors dont like heat if you gave them too much they might have cooked im just making another cable now i could test it and sell it too you :mrgreen:
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yeah that should be fine then, I assumed a V6 - to stop any confusion for anyone reading this thread, the $F5 device ID applies only to the V6.
stocky

Post by stocky »

how much would you want for a cable delco? i probably dont need the OBD connector, or the serial. just a circuit board with the 3 wires going in, and 3 coming out. im hardwiring this up to a serial port i have on my centre console, so all i need to do is plug in a usb to serial adapter and i can use it with my laptop.

i cant work out what is wrong with mine and am about to give up on it
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

stuff all mate $20 or something will cost $7 for postage out of that ive got one half made i can finish it soon and test it out and make sure its going on my test ecu before sending it its all on veroboard about 1" x 1/2" so easy to fit in behine your little dash insert you have made
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

cable is built and tested mate but i may have an idea where you may have gone wrong as i just did accidently myself and got the same reply from efilive .i had one wire from the serial too the wrong pin in my circuit was relatively simple mistake maybe its your problem accidently put the transmit pin into the first trans instead of through the resistor into the second trans took me half an hour too find my silly mistake but she was away when i fixed it LOL