Convert V6 Netres To V8

Ecu Hardware Modifications
delcowizzid

Re: Convert V6 Netres To V8

Post by delcowizzid »

as long as the filter has the same leg layout youll be fine no matter what ecu it came from ide say.most of the v8's down here didnt run a knock sensor or filter its not really needed unless your tuned on the edge and get bad gas or fill with low octane by accident .
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Daviero
cars: 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Post by Daviero »

OK - thanks.
I actually found a V8 5L '7165 pcm with memcal for an ok price - I'll have it in a few days.
So when I get it I will compare the '7165 V8 knock filter to the one from the '7730 V8 memcal I already have.
I do want to advance the timing a bit - right now running a timing map derived from the Cadillac OBDII data, so it's got to be conservative with some room remainin. Knock retard will keep playing with it safe :D
88 Pontiac Fiero GT
MrWillys
cars: 1955 Willys CJ5 L98 350
2001 Ford F150
2004 Corvette 6 spd

Post by MrWillys »

The ESC (electronic spark control (knock filter)) for the GM TPI 7165 mass air cars was not mounted on the memcal, but was a remote circuit that can be seen here.

http://www.chevythunder.com/198689_f__y ... 227165.htm

In the 1990 model when the switch to speed density occurred the ESC was moved to the memcal. How you would use a ESC mounted on the memcal with a 7165 is beyond me, and I would think it should be wired in as shown in the schematic above. Even though $6E is 128k, and $8D is 256k when I solder in a 27SF512 I can program the 7165 memcals with my 256k and it runs in my rig. This tells me the resistor chips are the same.
barana
cars: mitz L300
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

Gday fellas,I'm a fresh nube, been lurking lots on and off.picked up what I think is an 808 from me local swapmeet for $5 (yep!) its got a 128k Rom. Anyway as far as im understanding, the netres is purely for lhm purposes, so it sounds strange to me with all of thistalk of converting netres to v8 and 4 that most are saying v8 lhm won't work on a converted v6 netres X-S Anyone care to set me straight? Ta -rana.
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:yeah,corse,God's a Holden man
Mate:whaaa?
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the netres does cylinder count/fueling type as well as limp home mode.the cylinder select resistor needs to match the number of cylinders to run properly
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
barana
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

So if I replace the cylinder select resistor with a resistor of the correct value I will get lhm to work with my different cylinder count engine(on the worst possible day in my engines life)?
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

just replacing that one section wont correct limp home mode but should run enough to get out of the middle of the road on a major malfunction like its there for which never really happens anyway lol.but it will make the tuning of the ecu work properly ive had customers turn up with ebay tunes for v8 on 6 cylinder memcals they run and drive but not great LOL
barana
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

So has anyone sliced off the top of the metres chips and documented the difference between 4, 6 &8 lhm's or is all a bit of a blackbox to ppl?
A Holden & a pontiac
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

just bust out a multimeter on ohms and probe away its just a buch of resistors interconnected in a block.kalmaker did have a developement board that you could swap resistors in and out to tune LHM
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the first page of this thread has the documentation of what values are for which cylinder selections, but that's about it, that's usually all people need to know to use different ones on different motors.