Convert V6 Netres To V8

Ecu Hardware Modifications
MrWillys
cars: 1955 Willys CJ5 L98 350
2001 Ford F150
2004 Corvette 6 spd

Re: Convert V6 Netres To V8

Post by MrWillys »

Holden202T wrote:netres resistors. The factory TBI setting is used for 2 cylinder mode in OSE 12P.
I tried cutting just pin 12 first, but it still set a cylinder select error. After reviewing this post, I soldered in the resistor and it worked.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

MrWillys wrote: I tried cutting just pin 12 first, but it still set a cylinder select error. After reviewing this post, I soldered in the resistor and it worked.
I presume that comment was directed at me.

Strange. That would suggest that your netres has a non-Open resistance for Z3C (refer MEMCAL-ECM.pdf; I'm assuming there must also be some voltage at pin 11 of the netres). What part number is printed on the netres?

Joe.
MrWillys
2001 Ford F150
2004 Corvette 6 spd

Post by MrWillys »

j_ds_au wrote:
MrWillys wrote: I tried cutting just pin 12 first, but it still set a cylinder select error. After reviewing this post, I soldered in the resistor and it worked.

Strange. That would suggest that your netres has a non-Open resistance for Z3C (refer MEMCAL-ECM.pdf; I'm assuming there must also be some voltage at pin 11 of the netres). What part number is printed on the netres?

Joe.
Joe,
Maybe this will make more sense if you see Holden202T's 9th post on page 2 of this thread. I tried to quote it, but the pic didn't follow. While both the TPI, and TBI 5.7's use a very similar engine I now believe there's a difference in the resistor chip on the memcals. In the $8D (TPI) the number of cylinders is set to 0, and in the $42 (TBI) number of cylinders is set to 8. I've even tried reassigning this value in the programming of the $8D, but it doesn't work.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

netres resistors.jpg
netres resistors.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 10969 times
:thumbup:
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

MrWillys wrote:
j_ds_au wrote:

Joe.
Joe,
Maybe this will make more sense if you see Holden202T's 9th post on page 2 of this thread. I tried to quote it, but the pic didn't follow. While both the TPI, and TBI 5.7's use a very similar engine I now believe there's a difference in the resistor chip on the memcals. In the $8D (TPI) the number of cylinders is set to 0, and in the $42 (TBI) number of cylinders is set to 8. I've even tried reassigning this value in the programming of the $8D, but it doesn't work.
Ah, gottcha!

I missed the significance of the "TBI" reference. I thought you were converting from diagram 1 to diagram 2, whereas you were converting from diagram 4 to diagram 2. Was your added resistor a 7.5k (aka. 7k5) or 7.5Ω (aka. 7R5)? If it was the latter (or a similarly low value, including zero), then the only simplification that could be made is omitting the snip of pin 12. Good job!

Joe.
MrWillys
2001 Ford F150
2004 Corvette 6 spd

Post by MrWillys »

j_ds_au wrote:
Was your added resistor a 7.5k (aka. 7k5) or 7.5Ω (aka. 7R5)? If it was the latter (or a similarly low value, including zero), then the only simplification that could be made is omitting the snip of pin 12. Good job!

Joe.
Joe,
I'm just an ole retired carpenter who started tuning on the side about 15 years ago, and really don't get what you're driving at? Does this help?
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Yep, that's 7.5k, which is 7500 ohms. (With that value, the pin needed the snip.)

Joe.
barana
cars: mitz L300
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

or 7K5
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:yeah,corse,God's a Holden man
Mate:whaaa?
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

barana wrote:or 7K5
Actually, 7k5 (kilo is a lower case multiplier). ;)

Joe.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I've previously been told & have actually done with success just cutting leg to convert from v6 to v8 even though LHM won't work but the other memcal I did was vs & worked fine!

But with these 2 in picture every time I loaded the bin on double stacked a $12p file it ran super rich & poorly? The only difference I can say is these are from vr 808 & removed knock filter as I did with the other?

I ended up using a proper v8 memcal (so blue chips at end) same double stacked file as previous & was fine?
Attachments
image.jpg