Programmable Delco Ignition Module

Ecu Hardware Modifications
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Programmable Delco Ignition Module

Post by VL400 »

Well testing is going well and now have a few different trigger options an input types working.

One of the key features of late model multiple coil ignition systems is to maintain dwell at high RPMs. Usually on a single coil setup the dwell time begins to drop as there is simply not enough time between firings, there must be a small time period between firing the coil and starting dwell again to allow for the coil to release its spark energy, this is usually 600us on a Delco. The more cylinders the earlier dwell starts dropping, on a 8 cyl 4000 RPM is the limit if your wanting to keep a nominal 3.2ms of dwell. Once dwell starts dropping so is the need to close plugs gaps to try and stop misfiring. When you have multiple coils its possible to begin charging the next coil in the firing order before the current one has fired.

Here is an example of Holden202T warming the tyres at his last race meet. The 6 cyl engine is using a 36-1 crank trigger and 6 x LS2 coils in wasted spark config. The top red trace is RPM showing a peak of 7418RPM! The bottom two traces are the dwell times, blue is what the ECU is commanding and having a single EST output it cannot maintain dwell at high RPMs. Once the RPM is above 5300RPM it begins to drop dwell all the way down to 2ms by 7400RPM, the green is what actually gets delivered with the module overlapping dwell using a configurable target dwell time (in this case it aims for 3.2ms)...
Module_DwellOverlap.png
Module_DwellOverlap.png (26.98 KiB) Viewed 9801 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

:thumbup: :driving:
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Excellent! stuff i can understand.

good work and keep it up.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Great work again vl400 :punk:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

interesting thread on LS1 coil dwell and what happens when you charge them to long the go multiple discharge lol http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/top ... ing/page-2?&
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Possible to have a version that could do Multiple Spark Discharge under 3000rpm?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Ive not had an LS1 coil do that when its got enough voltage to dwell it, only time it would fire early was when my bench power supply started to current limit and drop voltage. Using a small car battery it never did after that, not to say they dont its just I havnt stressed it enough maybe! Also tried D513A and D514A LS2 coils and even with over 10ms of dwell they seemed ok. The truck coils with the external heatsink do dwell limit and fire early.

Guess which is the LS2 coil, same dwell (3.2ms) and fired at the same time...
600_3132.jpg
600_3132.jpg (299 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

jesus christ some arc that LOL have you tried nissan pencil coils with built in igniters like in sr20det might come in handy for some people
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

VL400 wrote:Ive not had an LS1 coil do that when its got enough voltage to dwell it, only time it would fire early was when my bench power supply started to current limit and drop voltage. Using a small car battery it never did after that, not to say they dont its just I havnt stressed it enough maybe! Also tried D513A and D514A LS2 coils and even with over 10ms of dwell they seemed ok. The truck coils with the external heatsink do dwell limit and fire early
I was eluding to a big name ignition system manufacturer that incorporates that fature. Very effective with the 3 sparks per cycle under 3000rpm. Although it is a CDI system.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

Cdi systems generate a spark that burns for a much shorter period of time.
That ls2 coil's spark probably burns longer than all 3 of the cdi sparks put together.