Programmable Delco Ignition Module

Ecu Hardware Modifications
Holden202T

Re: Programmable Delco Ignition Module

Post by Holden202T »

VL400 wrote:In holden202t's module we even tried 3.3V to 5V level shifters but still got data errors and dropouts at the track, from memory it worked in the shed ok?
Yeah was pretty hit and miss.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

VL400 wrote:To add a couple of things, the latest boards now have the required connections broken out to pads to wire an SXR emulator to the main PCB of the ign module (the USB connection gets removed still) so its not quite as hacky as it once was. The only issue is the ign module CPU is a 3.3V, not 5V like the SXR emulator is designed for so there is still a mod required for that. I wasnt able to reproduce the same issue holden202T had, logged both the module and ECU together ok without any data errors (the ign module has a unique ALDL bus address). In holden202t's module we even tried 3.3V to 5V level shifters but still got data errors and dropouts at the track, from memory it worked in the shed ok? So while a ALDL bus connection is not officially supported, the module talks ALDL frames and with some mods it may be possible to make it happen to a bus.

Oh and it is possible to fit a module and '808 sized ECU in a '424 case too. Has been done before.
Thats good to know as thats my eventual aim, at lease the mounting in an OEM like integration.

I was looking at the connector you are using on the board. May I make a suggestion of maybe designing it with a delphi micropack header? as these are available for about 7 USD for genuine. I have the 3D pdf and tech drawing at home for a micro-pack 100 series 24 way if you are interested in looking. That way its much more automotive quality and professional and you could offer the female connector as a raw crimp yourself or as a pre-made pigtail and it would also suit mount in a PCM case more uniform with the rest of the loom in mind and your existing case also.

I have a couple of ideas for improvement/versatility in terms of installation. I'm going to have a closer look at the one HQ bought off you to get a better sense of the board layout.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I believe its the atx connector as it makes it easy for people to buy a atx cable off ebay, eg:
atx cable.jpg
atx cable.jpg (31.37 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
I personally know I'd prefer that option than to have to crimp them all :) but I guess if you want to do your own wires and happy to crimp it then you could probably get the plug and pins all separately.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

vlad01 wrote:I was looking at the connector you are using on the board. May I make a suggestion of maybe designing it with a delphi micropack header? as these are available for about 7 USD for genuine. I have the 3D pdf and tech drawing at home for a micro-pack 100 series 24 way if you are interested in looking. That way its much more automotive quality and professional and you could offer the female connector as a raw crimp yourself or as a pre-made pigtail and it would also suit mount in a PCM case more uniform with the rest of the loom in mind and your existing case also.
Holden202T wrote:I believe its the atx connector as it makes it easy for people to buy a atx cable off ebay, eg:
I personally know I'd prefer that option than to have to crimp them all :) but I guess if you want to do your own wires and happy to crimp it then you could probably get the plug and pins all separately.
This exactly. Initially the module did use a 24 pin automotive connector but its time consuming to terminate, and you cant expect an end user to buy a (often) multi hundred dollar crimper to DIY it. A major consideration is not everyone has the same skill set and toolbox either, some like to DIY everything as its all in the fine details of a build and others prefer just twist joining wires and ripping skids. Unless more than 24 pins are needed the ATX connector will be staying, its easy to source, it works for those that just want to wire it in and its easy and cheap for those that want to buy pins and a crimper if they wanted a custom terminated loom.

You can order a case not cut and no connector installed if you want. I have installed one with deutsch DTM connectors, separated in to functions - ign outputs, delco interface+power, triggering and vehicle interface.
vlad01 wrote:I have a couple of ideas for improvement/versatility in terms of installation. I'm going to have a closer look at the one HQ bought off you to get a better sense of the board layout.
Fire away. I dont have any blank PCBs left so the time is now for any changes to be made :thumbup: But they need to be practical in terms of parts availability, ease of assembly and use.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Deutsch DT now your talking. Those crimpers can be had for around $30 odd dollars on eBay etc thst di a small size range. I'd be happy to work with them in them.
I do have big crimpers for them that does various sizes if it helps anyone out if you were to go that way. I'd love to see them used in the future.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yep, big fan of them and the non ridiculous cost of crimpers and connectors compared to other automotive options. DT and DTM depending on current draw with the various pin sizes. Even my logger V3 is wired in using DTM, most sensors it reads are motorsport style with DTM.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Dylan wrote:Deutsch DT now your talking. Those crimpers can be had for around $30 odd dollars on eBay etc thst di a small size range. I'd be happy to work with them in them.
I do have big crimpers for them that does various sizes if it helps anyone out if you were to go that way. I'd love to see them used in the future.
Yeah, I have one of those nice ratchet crimping tools, all you need to do is change out the jaws to suit what ever style of crimp you need to do :)
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

VL400 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:I was looking at the connector you are using on the board. May I make a suggestion of maybe designing it with a delphi micropack header? as these are available for about 7 USD for genuine. I have the 3D pdf and tech drawing at home for a micro-pack 100 series 24 way if you are interested in looking. That way its much more automotive quality and professional and you could offer the female connector as a raw crimp yourself or as a pre-made pigtail and it would also suit mount in a PCM case more uniform with the rest of the loom in mind and your existing case also.
Holden202T wrote:I believe its the atx connector as it makes it easy for people to buy a atx cable off ebay, eg:
This exactly. Initially the module did use a 24 pin automotive connector but its time consuming to terminate, and you cant expect an end user to buy a (often) multi hundred dollar crimper to DIY it. A major consideration is not everyone has the same skill set and toolbox either, some like to DIY everything as its all in the fine details of a build and others prefer just twist joining wires and ripping skids. Unless more than 24 pins are needed the ATX connector will be staying, its easy to source, it works for those that just want to wire it in and its easy and cheap for those that want to buy pins and a crimper if they wanted a custom terminated loom.

You can order a case not cut and no connector installed if you want. I have installed one with deutsch DTM connectors, separated in to functions - ign outputs, delco interface+power, triggering and vehicle interface.
vlad01 wrote:I have a couple of ideas for improvement/versatility in terms of installation. I'm going to have a closer look at the one HQ bought off you to get a better sense of the board layout.
Fire away. I dont have any blank PCBs left so the time is now for any changes to be made :thumbup: But they need to be practical in terms of parts availability, ease of assembly and use.
I noticed the board doesn't have off stand holes at the corners? Would be helpful if a custom case as per DYI is wanted by the customer to mount in any case they like, with a solid and flex free hold.

One other idea I have is maybe add a header for a USB cable so that if required a customer can plug in a cable and socket in any custom location giving freedom of both USB and main ignition socket instead of having them dictated by the locations on the board. Something like a 5 pin header , 2 of power, 2 for data and 1 for shield.

So for eg. you can mount the board in a 424 with the main connector coming out the top but the integrated USB socket would be in the middle of the PCM case with no access unless you plug in a cable and poke it through a hole in the case. If there is a header, you can make or buy a bulkhead type USB socket and fly lead and plug that in, and mount the socket anywhere on the case you like. You could even use a PC one off those PCI brackets and they are normally dual socket, one can go to this module and if a similar header was installed on the ECU you can have a nice dual socket on the case for both functions.

As for the delphi connector, perhaps you could have dual through hole layout on the board slightly offset to each other to allow either option to be soldered in as required with the delphi header mounting holes also available which can double as 2 of the off stands I mentioned. So you can have one or 2 off stand holes at the back of the board (USB end) and the 2 holes for the delphi header for the front for 2 off stands and that also keeps the connector solid and rigid.

Otherwise a little header board with pads for the delphi bulkhead could be made and customers can simply use wires to ling the module to the header board., but its always more elegant to have it on the main board.

Here are the connectors.

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Delp ... HGiQ%3D%3D
12092886-pdf.pdf
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 371 times
http://ecat.delphi.com/docs/default-sou ... r&sfvrsn=5

Here is the loom side female connector.

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/prod ... -connector
Last edited by vlad01 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:
Dylan wrote:Deutsch DT now your talking. Those crimpers can be had for around $30 odd dollars on eBay etc thst di a small size range. I'd be happy to work with them in them.
Yeah, I have one of those nice ratchet crimping tools, all you need to do is change out the jaws to suit what ever style of crimp you need to do :)

yeah I got a simple $60 one from Jaycar and a set of dies to suit. I do my entire car with them, From micro, metri, GT series all from delphi and Bosch, AMP, and few others.

Connectors and terminals are that bloody cheap from mobs like efi connection I just buy lots of 10 to 30 for the terminals and up to 10 for whole connectors so I have a lot of spares for crimping to my hearts desire.

I prefer Delphi micro and metri series as thats native to the commodore looms and everything GM in general and they are very high quality, cheap and shit easy to work with.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

LOL, I think I got mine from Jaycar as well.

Got a nice set of wire strippers too, all helps to make wiring just a little easier :)