New and want to log - VN

Ecu Hardware Modifications
mischa
cars: 355 1990 VN Commodore
3.8L 1989 VN Commodore

New and want to log - VN

Post by mischa »

Hi,

Long time reader and ive only just bothered to register. Ive been meaning to do something for ages but everytime I get on the site to read up about something it becomes a bit daunting with infomation all over the place to be onest its a bit hard to interperate sometimes.

My background in any sort of tuning/logging is a cable i made a few years ago that pluged into the VN diagnostics serial plug and gave me some readings in ALDL reader or somthing I cant remember haha. For some reason this cable didnt work on my 355 and I want to upgrade to use a wide band anyway.

First my car is a 355 VN Commodore tuned by Dick. From what I understand I have a 808 ECM? I also picked up a HSV memcal with the knock board. What I want is to be able to log data with the inclusion of a wide band and a high speed conection. This could turn into tinkering with the V6 tune but at this point im just after some logging.

Ill set up my spare 808 ECM to do this and trail it on my daily (VN V6) first.

Thanks!
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: New and want to log - VN

Post by VL400 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

The tune from Dick is possibly based on a bin that uses the later 8192 baud data. The VN ECU ('808) from the factory has hardware for 160 baud and a bin to also communicate at 160 baud. It is common to use a later VR or VS manual bin to gain extra features and faster data - this is what 12P is based on. The ECU hardware does not support 8192 baud data so an add-on board can be installed such as .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=164. You would need to confirm with Dick if the bin in your 355 supports 8192 baud data and if the data stream is different from factory.
mischa
3.8L 1989 VN Commodore

Post by mischa »

Well he did use his modded VR ECU to do the tuning and I think I got a 256k EPROM as well. Wouldn't imagine he would of been using the 160 baud to do it.

So in regards to my V6 (already has a EPROM in it) I would need to change the memcals BIN file to a manual VR BIN file before I would use the USB at all or would it just log at 160 baud?

Thanks for your help, any advice on the wide band including where/what to get?
VL400

Post by VL400 »

On a 808 with the original memcal the USB wont do anything at all, it wont even log at 160 baud, so would need to run some thing like 12P for that ... https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356

Wideband using 12P is easy as it has a dedicated analog input for that, for your 355 there may also be a spare pin but would need to speak to Dick about that. What wideband to get, well there are literally hundreds of options! Anything that has a linear 0-5V output can be used. Some discussion here ... https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2671
mischa
3.8L 1989 VN Commodore

Post by mischa »

Ahh ok now your getting into burning BINs and the sort ive got no idea with that :p What do i need to do this?

Does the OSE 12P stand for anything or is it just version numbers?

So far my buy it list includes,
- USB Comms
- Wideband
VL400

Post by VL400 »

The getting started guide in my signature has info that should answer a few questions. Have a read and you should have at least twice as many questions :lol: But it will answer things like the hardware need to burn a bin and the options for tuning.
mischa
3.8L 1989 VN Commodore

Post by mischa »

Haha your right i have read it before! Making a bit more sense now. Ill add a EPROM Programmer to the list.