vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: LSx Coil Driver

Post by vlad01 »

VL400 wrote::lol: spark cut + cat = dead cat!

haha yep.

its will melt down with enough raw fuel for long enough.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

vlad01 wrote:
you need to clean your engine, thats filthy! lol
come on its just an engine LOL i bet the inside is dirtier its overdue for an oil change the $15 oil is about out of additives shes a little tappy LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

delcowizzid wrote:
vlad01 wrote:
you need to clean your engine, thats filthy! lol
come on its just an engine LOL i bet the inside is dirtier its overdue for an oil change the $15 oil is about out of additives shes a little tappy LOL
with my cars the engine is always first for cleanliness, inside as well.

ecotec tappy? that aint good.

I never seen one tappy before, thats why they are such a good engine, they stay smooth and quiet til the end of their life. pre ecotec are the tappy ones, normally tappy once over 150k and death rattle once approaching 300k
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i hate ecotecs with a passion im probably subconsiously waiting for this to blow up so i can fit a buick in it LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

why? they are better designed.

buick is probably better for boost stock for stock, and ecotec far better for NA.

the ecotec is far superior platform to build on though, especially the late late ecotec in 04 VY. I discovered they are based of series III, revised heads with larger valves, powder metal forged rods!

I can't find literature on this but a dissection of a 04 VY confirms that the series III in the states made it here as internal parts only, block still says series II.

Thats why the VY engine can rev all day every day and bearing come out perfect in 300+k engines. The powder metal rods are fractured to they locate perfect and hold indefinitely and big end bore stays round much much longer than the crappy cast rods int he previous engines and due to the rods being stiffer than even traditional forged rods there is less claimed harmonics as well. Not sure if the late is true but it does makes sense as there is less flexing of the rods.

The only down side to ecotec is the hit and miss block casting core during manufacture makes some have the oil feed to the mains miss by up to 6mm and is cases like this the are blocked by the cam bearing.
This happens in pre ecotec as well but I guess due to their low power output and lower used rpm range the problem doesn't show up as often. But I can ensure you that they do suffer the same problem. Seen just as many pre ecotec spin bottom ends as ecotec did.

oh and VS ecotec was to blame for the bad rep as they were first gen of the ecotec with several problems. VT onwards were pretty good. And like wise VR was the best buick, they featured early ecotec transitional parts. :D and they do! I know when I pulled my VR engine mostly apart for a spruce up.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

so far working flawlessly.ive had 1 early discharge from the coils when i cocked up and didnt get the car started before letting the key go and on the 2nd crank it cranked slow and obviously overdwelled the coils and got 1 kickback not bad.
The1

Post by The1 »

im epecially interested for it with lean cruise for my daily, i find the knock active loops monitor on the enhanced bins there is knock triggering while lean 15.4:1 cruising, i would think these would ignite the lean mixture better causing less KAL.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

delcowizzid wrote:so far working flawlessly.ive had 1 early discharge from the coils when i cocked up and didnt get the car started before letting the key go and on the 2nd crank it cranked slow and obviously overdwelled the coils and got 1 kickback not bad.
Thats not too bad then, was expecting these coils to give more problems than that with the high cranking dwell.

The1 wrote:im epecially interested for it with lean cruise for my daily, i find the knock active loops monitor on the enhanced bins there is knock triggering while lean 15.4:1 cruising, i would think these would ignite the lean mixture better causing less KAL.
Am waiting for delcowizzids fuel economy report :D Would be nice to see some extra economy with the extra spark energy lighting the LC mixtures.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

fuel economy and smooth engine were nice for sure.today i went back to factory gear and noticed my touchy sticky throttle is back must be vacuam related thats probably where i got a gain in economy due to being able to squeese it on instead of the jerky pedal.now just to find out why the ls coils didnt make the same vacuam.
The1

Post by The1 »

did you have the same slack in the throttle cable, i noticed mine when i had it tight made the opening jerky but it was better to have some slack so it starts to open smoothly.