LSx Coil Driver

Ecu Hardware Modifications
Gorgon
cars: vr,vx,vy

Re: LSx Coil Driver

Post by Gorgon »

Yeah thought 500 was a bit much, might still pull the trigger though since theres nothing else around.

Cheers for the replies, I wonder if the box has some smarts in it that control dwell. VL400 put a factory table on page 8 of this thread which starts at about 5.5ms which from what i've read ls coils dont like much over 4ms
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I think its more to do with heat. They can handle 5.5ms but they'll run a bit warmer. It depends how much time they spend running that dwell and how much heat builds up. I cant say for 100% it'll be ok, but they are quite hardy and tolerant coils. I wouldnt want to be running 5.5ms for long periods at high RPM but the extra heat at low rpm would be somewhat offset by the reduced rate of fire being low rpm.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Thanks heaps for all the help, yep didnt think of the reduced rate of fire
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

You only have issues with 585 round truck coils with heatsinks they will self fire to save themselves burning out over 5ms. It's only an issue when cranking once running dwell is under 5ms
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

delcowizzid wrote:You only have issues with 585 round truck coils with heatsinks they will self fire to save themselves burning out over 5ms. It's only an issue when cranking once running dwell is under 5ms
That's good to know, thanks delcowiz
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

Gorgon wrote:Yeah thought 500 was a bit much, might still pull the trigger though since theres nothing else around.

Cheers for the replies, I wonder if the box has some smarts in it that control dwell. VL400 put a factory table on page 8 of this thread which starts at about 5.5ms which from what i've read ls coils dont like much over 4ms
I bought two of these early on in the piece & paid around $200 plus postage I think.
Later during the last group buy I bought one more to help them get their required numbers up.
I sold that one later at cost plus postage, which I think was $250 then.
As they are no longer available your at the sellers mercy. Although I think there was a guy in the States doing something similiar too.

On the topic of dwell times & heat build up - with this set up running off the original waste spark discharge. Does that mean at 6000rpm the coils will be firing twice so basically 6000 x per minute ?
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Sweet, I managed to get him down to 300 plus postage which I can deal with since they're no longer available.

Next question. Anybody have the wiring diagram handy? I've only found bits and pieces of it online and the guy doesn't think he has it
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

If its the revision 2 unit this is the user guide for it.
User Guide.pdf
(237.6 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Holden202T wrote:If its the revision 2 unit this is the user guide for it.
User Guide.pdf
Legend, thank you.
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Anybody got contact details for VL400? Since he's no longer making these i'd like to buy the designs off him