vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: LSx Coil Driver

Post by vlad01 »

if thats happening perhaps your leads are stuffed. Too much resistance. lol the dirt has less resistance that the leads
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

I think the electrical tape in place of actual boots around the lead on the coil end might be a contributing factor :lol:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

haha no doubt LOL shes all wired and mounted in the most dodgy fashion ready for daily driving LOL.and i tell you what that 2 step definately gets the cat upto temp fast ive never smelt the sulpher smell out of the vx before now LOL after a drive round the block coils are cold and so are the heatsinks got to be a good sign :mrgreen:
2 vids smooth idle and spark output at idle dont worry the spark isnt intermitent just the camera misses the spark every now and then
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ImU0oc ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVmAotZJ ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

:lol: spark cut + cat = dead cat!
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

haha its probably well dead anyway shes pretty chocked up sounding the poor old thing and it sounds like an old man with no teeth spitting when you limit it LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

a byproduct of the coil swap massive gains in fuel economy ive never seen the fuel figures like i just got driving to the supermarket.50kmh 3-4l/hr displayed on dash and 10l/hr accelerating where it normally jumps to 20 gently taking off.im thinking my dodgy leads off my old turbo vn maybe arnt to good could be a little down on power and slow to rev out or the coils may not have enough dwell for WOT or i could just be dreaming LOL
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

be interesting to see what the long term economy is
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Could there be an extra advantage to be had by fitting a coil voltage booster? ICE make them they step the primary voltage up top 16 volts.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i think any gain will be from both sides of the engine now getting the polarity of the spark round the same way.shameless cut and paste below
Each coil fires two cylinders with cylinders 1/4, 2/5 and 3/6 each sharing a coil. Since the polarity of the ignition coil primary and secondary windings is fixed, one spark plug always fires with normal polarity while its companion plug fires with reverse polarity. Because the ignition coil requires approximately 30% more voltage to fire a spark plug with reverse polarity the ignition coil requires more saturation time (longer dwell) and a higher primary current. This allows the coils to produce up to 40Kv if needed.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

delcowizzid wrote:haha no doubt LOL shes all wired and mounted in the most dodgy fashion ready for daily driving LOL.and i tell you what that 2 step definately gets the cat upto temp fast ive never smelt the sulpher smell out of the vx before now LOL after a drive round the block coils are cold and so are the heatsinks got to be a good sign :mrgreen:
2 vids smooth idle and spark output at idle dont worry the spark isnt intermitent just the camera misses the spark every now and then
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ImU0oc ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVmAotZJ ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
you need to clean your engine, thats filthy! lol
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.