LSx Coil Driver

Ecu Hardware Modifications
delcowizzid

Re: LSx Coil Driver

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah only changed coils back didnt touch anything else
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
0081(2)
cars: VY commodore supercharged V6

Post by 0081(2) »

delcowizzid wrote:fuel economy and smooth engine were nice for sure.today i went back to factory gear and noticed my touchy sticky throttle is back must be vacuam related thats probably where i got a gain in economy due to being able to squeese it on instead of the jerky pedal.now just to find out why the ls coils didnt make the same vacuam.
Why the return to the stock setup??

have been watching this thread as im keen to go down this path also.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

My vx was just a test before fitting on vb with v6 turbo to get some launch boost .the testing is only just warming up lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

has anyone tried or use the MSD replacement coils to suit our V6s? Do they work better or no?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

yeh i have on a family members car, this is the set of packs triggered from the DFI and run by an external MSD box to the coilpacks, still couldn't get good spark with 1.3mm gap on standard plugs pulling 15psi, still had to go down to 1.0mm, so waste of money there over stock setup.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i cant wait to test on the vb.it has to run 0.9mm gaps to not missfire and quality leads are very important ive fitted cheap ones and missfired on low psi with no other changes.so it could do with a spark upgrade .ill leave the gaps as is for now and see if it misses if not ill just keep opening them up till it does.i also need to check base timing against the new coils and make sure they arnt adding any timing from the rate they discharge spark.
trikky73
cars: VS V6 Sedan

Post by trikky73 »

very keen to here how it goes on the VB
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

We had a set fitted to a V6 using methanol as fuel with new MSD leads, plugs at std gap & had a misfire, closed the plugs up to .030" & still having the same problem. Phoned Rocket where the coils were purchased & replaced the "failed" coil, fitted the new one, same problem. Rang Rocket they send them all back & they will refund money, so the std 20 year old coils are still working fine, no misfire. My advise is spend your money on something else.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i agree, stick with the stockers until they start to let you down! unless you want coil on plug or something like that.

the series 2 onwards coil packs on v6's are very reliable and pack a good punch!!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I am confused why MSD claim a higher output of 40Kv when I am pretty sure the stock coils are much more than that. I read somewhere they were 60Kv or there abouts?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.