reflashing Dodge PCM

Ecu Hardware Modifications
Nitro Nut
cars: 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4x4, 1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia coupe, 1993 Fleetwood Pace Arrow RV

reflashing Dodge PCM

Post by Nitro Nut »

Not sure where to place this topic, so if it is in the wrong place, just move it where it belongs. New member here and I have a problem which I just found out is related to the PCM in my 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4x4. Apparently, Chrysler/Dodge has put the control of many simple electrical items into the PCM, instead of just using simple switches and wiring. I swapped the electric heated seats out of a previous 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4x4, into my currently owned car of the same exact specifications. The only differences between the two Nitro's are a few interior items, like the heated leather seats and the rear seat entertainment system. All the wiring is there in the currently owned Nitro, and I have connected everything exactly as it was in the previous Nitro, including swapping the switch block in front of the shift knob under the radio, so that I have the heated seat switches from the original Nitro.

I just learned from another member of the Dodge Nitro forum I belong to that the switches are controlled by the PCM and each Nitro has it's PCM programmed with only the equipment that it comes with from the factory and nothing else. To make matters worse, if any owner swaps any electrically controlled equipment from one car/SUV/truck, to another, the dealership service dept. will enter into their computers that the vehicle has been "modified", and black list it from being serviced by any dealership anywhere, for that component. Obviously they will still perform other service items and take all your money, but they will not even attempt to change anything concerning the PCM, unless you can get Dodge to alter your equipment build list, which they will not do. I (and a lot of other Nitro owners) are really pissed off about this situation, but we are trying to find a solution outside of the dealership service departments.

I don't see any topics on this forum for Dodge PCM programming. Is there a reason for this? Am I in the wrong place, and do you only work on performance modifications to GM and other brands in this forum?

I personally don't have the skills to hack any computer, let alone one that is proprietary in my car, but I am hoping to find people that are able to do this. Not only for the heated seat problem, but for any other modifications I may want to do to my Nitro, and other cars in the future. I don't mind learning, and I am sort of a computer geek anyway, but this is over my head and I need help.

Can any of you direct me to the right place to find the information I need, and also just generally tell me what the state of hacking computers in cars is at and what is possible (in general). I am retired now, so I have free time to tinker with cars and other things, and I am interested in doing weird vehicle projects and conversions, which will most likely need knowledge of car computer systems in the future.

Thanks for any advice,
David
v6bucket

Re: reflashing Dodge PCM

Post by v6bucket »

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee & yes the pcm controls lots of stuff. From the research that I conducted, the only system available to flash the pcm is http://www.sctflash.com/ . I'm not sure if it's available for your particular vehicle, but it's worth a look.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---