Delco spark only computer

Ecu Hardware Modifications
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Delco spark only computer

Post by BennVenn »

While searching for a new cpu for my '808 to fix a broken usart I came across what looks like 10,000+ NOS delco timer IC's. These are the braun which allows a 2mhz ecu to precisely control and calculate spark and fuel delivery to an amazingly precise tolerance.

At only $4 ea I am thinking of pairing up one of these guys with a modern usb equipped microcontroller and make a pretty high end spark computer for my dirtbike or any other engine looking for digital spark control.

I'll need to look into the available source code to see exactly what is done in these chips and reverse engineer an equivalent block diagram.

Anyone here have a use for such a device?
Gareth

Re: Delco spark only computer

Post by Gareth »

Yep, was chasing something of the sort a while ago, the vehicle is still around running less than great timing...

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4044
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

I wondered what happened to that
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

Interesting read. I was surprised he was open to the idea of anything other than original.

I'll build a development board this weekend with the Delco IC and see what it can do. For me a single coil is enough but if I plan on selling these down the road I'll probably design it with 3 or 4 outputs. Perhaps more. Might throw in some programmable logic to decode various types of triggers too.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

With the cost of modern micro's and the speed they run at, along with known interrupt latency, it seems like a lot of hard work using the old delco IC.

My take on the problem of getting a delco interfaced to various engines used a atxmega32. Does the job nicely with the extensive interrupt options ... http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2913