vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Custom Flange - 3d printing, CAD, Sand Casting

Post by vlad01 »

Big G has it since he bought it. its similar tot he mace twin tb plenums he was making at some stage.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Is that the same throttle body they use on their V8 manifold ?
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

If they are worth that much and there is enough demand to justify the cost of resin binders we could do a small run of them.

There would be a great deal of work involved producing all the core boxes and shell molds. Certainly not a weekend project...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

HQ355 wrote:Is that the same throttle body they use on their V8 manifold ?
yep!
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

BennVenn wrote:If they are worth that much and there is enough demand to justify the cost of resin binders we could do a small run of them.

There would be a great deal of work involved producing all the core boxes and shell molds. Certainly not a weekend project...
The patterns for the sand moulds already exist. Don't think he will borrow that out as it cost them 30k to produce lol.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Yeah, so it means we need to create them from scratch. They effectively do not exist for the purpose of casting these manifolds.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Ah, but you have a stock plenum to work from which is about 70% there. Cut and shut the side with the TB, raise the side somewhat so you can use the COME twin TB which you should be able to buy. You certainly won't need to start from scratch.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:Ah, but you have a stock plenum to work from which is about 70% there. Cut and shut the side with the TB, raise the side somewhat so you can use the COME twin TB which you should be able to buy. You certainly won't need to start from scratch.
Thats 60-70% of the cost. their TB is very expensive. So when they produced the plenums they were only making couple 100 bucks per kit as the TB was majority of the cost then casting and not much profit left. They did that for a reason knowing that most v6 guys wouldn't want to pay despite the valve when looked at manufacturing cost and how much the v8 counterparts market for.

Its a real shame as they put so much hard work and development into it to give the v6 guys something they want only to have shit thrown in there face because of price doesn't suit doll bludgers.

If I can find a 2nd hand kit i'd be very very happy. because I know how much something like this is worth to make.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Shrinkage when casting is about 3-5% depending on the alloy. This is the main reason keeping you from a direct copy. You could add a mm or two using high build spray putty which would also provide the finish needed for making molds, while not destroying the master.

You could add ply to the flanges to bulk it up for the post casting machining.

And then, you still have the challenge of making the core boxes. I'm not sure what is inside that manifold, how complex it is. Is it straight through to the plenum? Is it curved like the 'banana' tuned intakes on the VK? There is no easy way to replicate their cores non-destructively.

In my experience, I generate my intakes by designing the cores first. Then in CAD it is simple enough to add wall thickness, flanges, bosses etc...

Does anyone have photo's of the actual manifold, inside and out?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I can get measurements photos anything you need of the V8 throttle body from COME.