vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Custom Flange - 3d printing, CAD, Sand Casting

Post by vlad01 »

So where is the queue for submitting our designs?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

14588953751431215494507.jpg
Beautifull! Just need some m9 rod and she's done.

TdracerTd, I agree there are easier ways to go about all this but for me it's more about learning new skills than convenience. The things I'd make if I had a plasma cutter or a decent milling machine!

Vlad01, there are at least 2 of us here with 3d printers and im sure more with cad experience. My neighbour does blacksmithing and made me an awesome cruicble, lifting tools and even gave me a keg for my new larger furnace.

I've just got to mix and pour the refractory and ill have the capacity to pour around 30kgs of metal in one go. Opens up the posibilities of heads, v6/8 tuned manifolds ect...

I'm happy to donate my equipment and time if you have the designs/patterns. Ideas?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I'll see what I can do. I know the aftermarket plenum I want still exists as a pattern and most likely cad files too. Just they are still owned by the manufacturer. I'm not sure they would allow us to have the design.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

Aussie manufacturer?

Turns out m9 rod doesn't exist... why does a tap&die set have 9mm tools!?!?! Helicoil set inbound. Stronger threads so not all bad...
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

vlad01 wrote:So where is the queue for submitting our designs?
I'm P3 vlad, join the que
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

BennVenn wrote:Aussie manufacturer?

Turns out m9 rod doesn't exist... why does a tap&die set have 9mm tools!?!?! Helicoil set inbound. Stronger threads so not all bad...
yes oz are the leaders in series 1 ans 2 v6 innovations. only 7-10 years ago there were quite a number of aftermarket performance manifolds being manufactured. US still currently has 0 and also in the past 0. They do have one on top of us is alloy heads for series 2, in fact the only alloy head on the planet.

But the rest of the stuff we do export a lot of bits to the v6 lovers over there.

This said company, COME racing still manufacture a lot of V8 stuff, like aftermarket alloy blocks, heads, intake manifolds etc..

Then a lot of stuff stopped being made due to costs, more that customer were not willing to pay to have quality products :roll:
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

HQ355 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:So where is the queue for submitting our designs?
I'm P3 vlad, join the que
Got a bit of a que going on!

Watching in pure amazement... :shock:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:

yes oz are the leaders in series 1 ans 2 v6 innovations. only 7-10 years ago there were quite a number of aftermarket performance manifolds being manufactured. US still currently has 0 and also in the past 0. They do have one on top of us is alloy heads for series 2, in fact the only alloy head on the planet.

But the rest of the stuff we do export a lot of bits to the v6 lovers over there.

This said company, COME racing still manufacture a lot of V8 stuff, like aftermarket alloy blocks, heads, intake manifolds etc..

Then a lot of stuff stopped being made due to costs, more that customer were not willing to pay to have quality products :roll:
The COME V6 intake plenum did cost a mint, no wonder they didn't get much interest, worse part is, throw a MACE manifold spacer and plenum spacer on a standard upper intake and it was about 85% of what the COME item was. The only advantage the COME item had was the different intake runner design.

A lot of the US guys seem to be happy just fitting the aussie intake. I think the problem with the US one is the runner length, if someone bothered to redesign the (upper) banana style intake it would probably outperform our intake. If you look at the earlier V6 models they outperformed our V6 engines with a banana style manifold and smaller TB than what we had on our Buick V6 engines.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

What style furnace are you using?
Before I moved to suburbia I had a wood fired furnace made out of an old washing machine tub - it looked pretty spectacular and sounded like a jet engine and I could only run it in winter due to the fire risk.
I'm planning on building a new one that's a little more neighbor friendly, so will probably go gas fired this time. I'd love to go diesel or waste oil, but doubt my neighbors would appreciate the soot and smell :oops:
Maybe I should look into an EFI burner? :mrgreen:
Image002c.jpg
Image002c.jpg (6.86 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
Image001c.jpg
Image001c.jpg (14.55 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:
vlad01 wrote:

The COME V6 intake plenum did cost a mint, no wonder they didn't get much interest, worse part is, throw a MACE manifold spacer and plenum spacer on a standard upper intake and it was about 85% of what the COME item was. The only advantage the COME item had was the different intake runner design.

A lot of the US guys seem to be happy just fitting the aussie intake. I think the problem with the US one is the runner length, if someone bothered to redesign the (upper) banana style intake it would probably outperform our intake. If you look at the earlier V6 models they outperformed our V6 engines with a banana style manifold and smaller TB than what we had on our Buick V6 engines.
I have to disagree on the mace stuff as being as good as what come did. Its not really on the same page in the areas of modification. yes slight gains but even a machined TB, spacers and ported manifold the choke point is the 69mm TB. Just way too small for a serious engine.

The lid spacers become a completely redundant mod when an engine like Big G's one or higher performance is used as the extra volume can't even be used due to the choke of the small TB.

You need at least bare minimum of 2X 56mm cross sectional areas of induction into the plenum for 200rwkw and beyond in NA form. In practice 60mm x2 is ideal, come use 58mm which is pretty good.

twin tb will give some gains on stock engine but jack shit compared to on a race engine.

Those manifolds I reckon were pretty cheap considering how much I know some have paid to have a similar one fabricated out of sheet. I have seen some pay bit over 2 k for custom fabricated where come only charged 1600-1700 and the TB was over half the cost of the product.

Not sure what you mean by early v6 with banana? they were only as a banana type from about 92 onward. Prior to that 88-91 US v6 used the same design as the VN to VR with short runners. Performance was negligibly different from 92-93 bannana type compared to ours, 95 onward our ecotec manifolds blow theirs out of the water.