Custom Flange - 3d printing, CAD, Sand Casting

Ecu Hardware Modifications
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Custom Flange - 3d printing, CAD, Sand Casting

Post by VL400 »

The finish on that casting is REALLY nice, the new sand looks like it was worth the effort of getting it to oz.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:
immortality wrote:
vlad01 wrote: yes oz are the leaders in series 1 ans 2 v6 innovations. only 7-10 years ago there were quite a number of aftermarket performance manifolds being manufactured. US still currently has 0 and also in the past 0. They do have one on top of us is alloy heads for series 2, in fact the only alloy head on the planet.

But the rest of the stuff we do export a lot of bits to the v6 lovers over there.

This said company, COME racing still manufacture a lot of V8 stuff, like aftermarket alloy blocks, heads, intake manifolds etc..

Then a lot of stuff stopped being made due to costs, more that customer were not willing to pay to have quality products :roll:
The COME V6 intake plenum did cost a mint, no wonder they didn't get much interest, worse part is, throw a MACE manifold spacer and plenum spacer on a standard upper intake and it was about 85% of what the COME item was. The only advantage the COME item had was the different intake runner design.

A lot of the US guys seem to be happy just fitting the aussie intake. I think the problem with the US one is the runner length, if someone bothered to redesign the (upper) banana style intake it would probably outperform our intake. If you look at the earlier V6 models they outperformed our V6 engines with a banana style manifold and smaller TB than what we had on our Buick V6 engines.
I have to disagree on the mace stuff as being as good as what come did. Its not really on the same page in the areas of modification. yes slight gains but even a machined TB, spacers and ported manifold the choke point is the 69mm TB. Just way too small for a serious engine.

The lid spacers become a completely redundant mod when an engine like Big G's one or higher performance is used as the extra volume can't even be used due to the choke of the small TB.

You need at least bare minimum of 2X 56mm cross sectional areas of induction into the plenum for 200rwkw and beyond in NA form. In practice 60mm x2 is ideal, come use 58mm which is pretty good.

twin tb will give some gains on stock engine but jack shit compared to on a race engine.

Those manifolds I reckon were pretty cheap considering how much I know some have paid to have a similar one fabricated out of sheet. I have seen some pay bit over 2 k for custom fabricated where come only charged 1600-1700 and the TB was over half the cost of the product.

Not sure what you mean by early v6 with banana? they were only as a banana type from about 92 onward. Prior to that 88-91 US v6 used the same design as the VN to VR with short runners. Performance was negligibly different from 92-93 bannana type compared to ours, 95 onward our ecotec manifolds blow theirs out of the water.
Yes, but how many engines are built to the standard/performance of Big G? the COME unit was to much for the average bolt on engine. 2 of the big factors of the COME manifold were increased runner length and increased plenum volume, a 69mm TB is big enough for what most people are doing too. So as I said before you could achieve 85% of the COME manifold using MACE items for 1/3 the cost which was more than enough for most average engine builds been done in the V6 scene.

I do agree though, when you look at the neck where the TB bolts on, it looks restrictive and the angle isn't the best either.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Is there any pics around of the come V6 unit? Never seen it.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

And I'll chime in here and say that if anyone has a come unit that they would part with please let me or Vlad know
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Dylan wrote:Is there any pics around of the come V6 unit? Never seen it.
here is my wanted ad. Was a big effort just to find pics of it as the internet has just about forgotten all info on them.

There are units floating around but the fact no one want to part tells me they work better than they are given credit. When I spoke to Sam at come he said he had people ring up years ago a while after production stopped and the prototype sold to a saloon race car owner and thats where is stayed.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272178956342 ... 1555.l2649
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I believe SC mag did an article on them, there might still be a copy of the article on the SC website.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Biggvl wrote:And I'll chime in here and say that if anyone has a come unit that they would part with please let me or Vlad know

Are we going to test that hand made twin tb manifold?

The thing I like about the come plenum is there is easy gains over few little things they missed. Well maybe not missed but compromised to make it easy to install for the end user.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

correct me if im wrong here, but that looks like a fairly standard ecotec upper, except with 2 throttles in the place of one? wouldnt be real hard to take 2 stock ones, and cut out the throttle mounts and make one verrry similar?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

we already have one like that for testing. But cut and shunt is always a bit bodged up without spending at much as one of these manifold to make it OEM like quality.

One of the advantaged of the come plenum is the close throttle positioning where home made ones are always far apart. Having them close keeps the factory vorticity where having them further apart tend to create a lot of turbulence due to plenum shape, the shape is optimized for the throttle position . Come did design them well in terms of air distribution, plenum shape and air tumble and throttle sizes.

Where they came short is the snorkel adapter as is would cause turbulence before the throttle entrance and throws away the benefit of dual intake ram tubes which are one of the key factors for tuned intake design. So that would be the first thing I would change, luckily is just unscrews from the throttle body and you could make your own one in a straight forward manner.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

could you put up some photos of your custom one?