vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Trigger Wheel Decoder / Coil driver

Post by vlad01 »

Would it be possible to make this that can use the stock 18x3 V6 stock trigger?

I've love to have something like this that can be plugged in on the stock V6 loom and sensors for tuning purposes that can be removed after it's done with ease with no mods to the original loom or engine.

I've never had a satisfactory knock detection other than old fashioned knock ears, but they aren't very practical on the road for obvious reasons. I found knock can happen on the road in very specific conditions which are almost impossible to recreate on the dyno, let alone predict it.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

vlad01 wrote:Would it be possible to make this that can use the stock 18x3 V6 stock trigger?

I've love to have something like this that can be plugged in on the stock V6 loom and sensors for tuning purposes that can be removed after it's done with ease with no mods to the original loom or engine.

I've never had a satisfactory knock detection other than old fashioned knock ears, but they aren't very practical on the road for obvious reasons. I found knock can happen on the road in very specific conditions which are almost impossible to recreate on the dyno, let alone predict it.
Yeah shouldn't be too hard to use the stock trigger signal. You'd probably want the V6 saab coil packs and drivers though or use 2x 4cyl packs and leave two disconnected
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Doesn't look like there is a coil pack for 6 cyl. There are Saab/Mitsubishi COPs that do the ion knock detection and I assume the separate ionization module? Although the module pin out suggests 4 cyl.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

vlad01 wrote:Doesn't look like there is a coil pack for 6 cyl. There are Saab/Mitsubishi COPs that do the ion knock detection and I assume the separate ionization module? Although the module pin out suggests 4 cyl.
The V6 saabs use coil on plug which goes through the controller module which does the ion sense stuff. The COP's alone won't do it, needs the CDI & ion module. Not sure how easy the plugs and loom bits would be for the V6, but 2x 4cyl ignition cassettes would do the trick. Just not the neatest
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Wouldn't have to be neat as it would be a temp tuning tool, like a wide band is. Plus with 8 plugs it can support V8 as well for those that need it.

As for plugging into the stock v6 harness, perhaps an old dead DFI module can be hacked up to get the socket for the loom connector, because as far as I've searched, no male DFI plugs exist as a stand alone.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Yeah i've gutted a dead n13 ignition module to use for the connectors. Seems to be the easiest way to keep the loom intact.

You don't leave your wideband in your car?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I have in one car, but pulling out soon to fit the 4 wire NB. I found no benefit leaving it in after the tuning is complete (fuel wise) and the stock NB is faster and more accurate for closed loop than the simulated, even though the simulated works ok, it's not as good as the real thing.

Not to mention it ties up my WB for tuning other engines/cars.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

IMG_20230423_122256614.jpg
Protos arrived. Testing maybe this week
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Looks good! If we need to fine tune ref angle will it only be a firmware change to modify the scaling of the change dialed in on the rotary encoder?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

The plan is to have the DEG wheel adjust from 0-150 degrees offset from the missing tooth - adjustable in 10 degree increments. Reversing the VR input will trigger on the opposite edge (start of a tooth vs start of a gap) and could adjust down to 5 degree increments but that may cause other side affects.

Ideally 10deg will be enough and your VR sensor will be on an adjustable bracket that would set the timing below 10degrees. Or degree your crank first before you weld on the trigger wheel if the sensor is fixed? I think 5 degrees either side of ideal will still let the motor start and run and 11p/12p will do the rest.

16 options for the Cylinder count is a little overkill so I'll probably set it up for 4,6,8 cylinder, inverted 4,6,8 output, and CDI 4,6,8 output (CDI being fired on the falling edge of EST with very small dwell)

I should have added more LED's for status / loss of sync / coil firing etc. Next revision maybe. And maybe use some of the ADC pins on the micro to eventually read the knock level from the saab cassette to retard timing without ECU intervention, or just output a knock PWM signal which the Delco can interpret.