Got some noob questions, please advise!

Ecu Hardware Modifications
neRok

Got some noob questions, please advise!

Post by neRok »

hi, im hoping youz can clear some things up for me. ive got to tune my vn v8 and a vn v8 in my patrol, ive got kalmaker sp3 but havent used it, reckon im going to sell it and go with the flow here so i can tune cheaper and easier.

i have a vn v8 ecm at the moment. if i get the nvram board and the 8192 usb comms board, i will be set for real time tuning, and i reckon i would use the 12P package. heres where my questions start...

1) does a 808 ecm with the above mods end up working the same as if i started with a vr v8 manual ecm (dont know number). i saw a thread showing the vr had better quality guts, but do they give the same results?

2) i need a second ecu for second car, i have another 808 from a vn v6. so i tune on the live ecm, then i would need to transfer this onto the v6 memcal. but being a 808 v6, its only a 16K eprom, so no good for the 32k size of the 12P. so i would probably be best getting EEPROM converted, burn onto larger chips and into the v6 memcal? plus snip the resistor so it knows its v8. and i couldnt use the limp home. and because im using 12P i would need to add a comms board to this ECM for it to function.

3) the vn v6 has a knock sensor, should i add this to one of my v8's? should i obtain another so they both have knock sensors? does the filter board for a v6 work with a v8?

4) i got the jist of bin stacking on the larger chips. how large is the nvram in the live kit, is it 64K? im asking because im interested in having a swappable tune, and how to achieve this. is it possible with the real time ecm? or do you have to do the individual tunes on the real-time, save them in tunerpro, then stack them and program them to a 'normal' memcal?

that should be enough questions for now, until some more brew!

PS- have you considered running a wiki parallel with this forum, would be good and they are easy to setup, i have my own on mq patrols at http://nerok.info
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Got some noob questions, please advise!

Post by antus »

Hi there, and welcome aboard!
neRok wrote: 1) does a 808 ecm with the above mods end up working the same as if i started with a vr v8 manual ecm (dont know number). i saw a thread showing the vr had better quality guts, but do they give the same results?
For your purpose, yes. To use the 808 in a VR manual you need a different mod, so that ecu can operate on the 1 wire vehicle aldl bus and talk to the BCM. When you only need higher speed comms to a laptop (such as engine conversions and VN/VP the result will be the same. For the 2 wire systems (808 with comms mod) use 'no echo' setting in applications as transmit and receive have a dedicated wire and the data remains seperate. For a VR Manual pcm with a 1 wire interface, the transmitted data from the pc feeds back to the receive, so the PC sees an echo of what it sends. Use the 'echo' settings in the apps.
neRok wrote: 2) i need a second ecu for second car, i have another 808 from a vn v6. so i tune on the live ecm, then i would need to transfer this onto the v6 memcal. but being a 808 v6, its only a 16K eprom, so no good for the 32k size of the 12P. so i would probably be best getting EEPROM converted, burn onto larger chips and into the v6 memcal? plus snip the resistor so it knows its v8. and i couldnt use the limp home. and because im using 12P i would need to add a comms board to this ECM for it to function.
Yes regarding changing the chip and resistor pack. You should add a comms board so that you can take diagnostic logs of the car, but if you did not it would still run but it would make it a lot harder to diagnose trouble and to take logs to upload here if you need help.
neRok wrote: 3) the vn v6 has a knock sensor, should i add this to one of my v8's? should i obtain another so they both have knock sensors? does the filter board for a v6 work with a v8?
No, it does not work. The sensor is a piezo audio microphone, and the filter is an audio filter that only allows the exact frequency of the knock to get through. The frequency depends on the size of the cylinder/engine etc so the v6 filter will not work on the v8. either disable it in the tune so it doesnt throw an error and rely on your ear, or try to get the right filter.
neRok wrote: 4) i got the jist of bin stacking on the larger chips. how large is the nvram in the live kit, is it 64K? im asking because im interested in having a swappable tune, and how to achieve this. is it possible with the real time ecm? or do you have to do the individual tunes on the real-time, save them in tunerpro, then stack them and program them to a 'normal' memcal?
OSE12P supports 2 tunes natively, and you can add a switch to swap between them with the engine running (see the wiring digrams, its referred to as map a and map b. This works in a single 32k tune. On the DS1245Y based nvram boards you have 128k in 2 chunks and so can fit 2 copies of the above. Probably more than you need, and you would need to turn the car off to swap between high and low banks on the chip. The DS1230Y is 32k so you dont need to stack, and the DS1245Y is 128k, so you would stack up 4 copies and the 2nd and 4th would be the ones the ecu will use. When I do it I generally insert 32k of blank, then a bin, then another 32k blank then another bin so if the chip is read out in a chip burner its clearer what the right chunks are to the eye.
neRok wrote: PS- have you considered running a wiki parallel with this forum, would be good and they are easy to setup, i have my own on mq patrols at http://nerok.info
Yes, have considered that, and other ways to extend the site. But that would still require the man hours to layout all the info there, as well as be another app to maintain and integrate. Ive decided its not worth the effort as its not much harder to enter the info to the forums, anyone can do it, and the mods can sticky it or merge new info in existing locked/stickyed posts.

Note that if you have no luck selling your kalmaker kit, you can flash OSE12P on to the NVRAM and use our tools.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
neRok

Re: Got some noob questions, please advise!

Post by neRok »

hello again, forget to get back to this thread the other week, but you answered all my questions, so cheers :afro:

ps- wikis are worth it. much easier for new comers to find info in a wiki rather than a forum. dokuwiki is very easy and capable.

pps- most forum have the submit post button on the left, this one is on the right, ive hit save so every time so far :rant: