Thought Of A Good Feature To Add Tell Everyone About It Here
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: Spark only bin to turn 808 into programmable ignition ecu

Post by yoda69 »

OK, first stage roughly done.
Have the car running with EST disconnected and distributor set at 10 degrees, and wiring all over the place.
Is it possible to modify a 4cyl netres for a V8, or am I better of removing the knock filter from a V6 and converting as per the other posts?
Once I've got this sorted I'll tidy the wiring and then try taking it for a drive.

Thanks,
yoda69
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

If its ignition only you can use any memcal you want without any conversion, the netres has no impact on ignition. The cyl slect part of the netres only tells the ECM how often to fire the injectors.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if you just wanted to get the right cyl select you could also remove the netres and put in the required resistors directly to the memcal socket ?
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

Thanks everybody for their help.
The car is now running, well at least for a good rev in the shed. It definitely sounds better and appears to rev out a little quicker and cleaner than before.
Next job is to pull apart the loom and re-tape it a little better for the application so I can actually drive it Once this done I'll try a little fine tuning.

Thanks again,
yoda69
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

Finally finished tidying up the harness a bit.
Have the ecu in the vehicle.
Have fitted up the ignition module, coil distributor, coolant sensor and manifold air temp (actually intake air as it is mounted in the air cleaner housing).
Have tucked all the other sensors together under the brake master cylinder in a plastic bag.
Still need to mount the relays and MAP sensor, at the moment there sitting on top of the back of the inlet manifold, behind/under the air cleaner.
Took it for a drive, best it's run since I've had.
Chirps them on take off and pulls cleanly, although think it could do with a bit more spark in the 2000-4000rpm area, at least no signs of pinging that I was getting with the distributor under light/mild loads.
It only revs to about 4000rpm, not really suprising considering that it has over 250k on the clock, standard cam (which is probably hugely retarded by chain stretch and worn plastic teeth on the gears) and standard exhaust. Mind you with the Auto and 2.75 gears it's still pulling 75kph in first and 120kph in 2nd.
Next is to try a bit of datalogging and wire in the engine check light.

yoda69
:driving:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

so when are the injectors going into it :D

i reckon with a bit more timing it might even rev more than 4k!
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

Depends on finances at the moment.
All the stuff so far has been pretty much with stuff lying around the shed and about $50 worth of parts.
Other issue I have is the old cleveland never came with injection, have seen that it is possible to modify a 351W manifold or get adapters for a 302w manifold.
This guy did it on a Pantera with a 351W intake, but used the EEC-IV http://www.detomaso.nu/~thomast/efi/

Other option is to drill my edelbrock manifold for injectors, but it doesn't have any bosses in it.

Either way, it's going to cost $$$'s that I don't have at the moment, but I do like the look of the 351W intake mods.

yoda69
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you can buy injector bosses and get them welded into your manifold!!
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

I haven't been able to get datalogging or check engine lamp to flash out any codes.
I went back through the wiring harness info and updated the image posted by Mechcano to add in the engine checklight circuit.
808-Spark Only Wiring.zip
(79.74 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
From what I can see, the CEL has an input of 12V when the ignition is on and the ecu applies ground as required on pin A5.
What I have happening at the moment is that CEL is always on, even when in diagnostic mode with a 10k resistor or a jump wire between pins A & B.
Don't know if it's a faulty ECU or whether I've stuffed up my wiring somewhere.

yoda69
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well its been a while since i used my vn aldl cable but from memory when you have the cable in for logging you should get the engine light flashing as data is going through ......

then when you have the diagnostic link enabled you should get the CEL flashing code 12 if nothing else .... and in your case i have no doubt there would be a bit more than just code 12 :D

the wiring diagram looks right for the aldl plug so im not really sure