no coolant 'lhm' as on Cadillac northstar and au falcon

Thought Of A Good Feature To Add Tell Everyone About It Here
Circlotron
cars: VP 5L LPG

Re: no coolant 'lhm' as on Cadillac northstar and au falcon

Post by Circlotron »

The thermal efficiency of the engine is somewhat load sensitive, so switching off some cyls while running others should reduce the *total* heat rejection to the non-existent cooling system. The point is though, the half of the cyls that are at any given moment working twice as hard will be dumping something less than twice as much heat. The air going through the non-firing cyls should help a lot too.

My old HJ needed about 15hp at the wheels to push it at 100kph. There is this stretch of very steady hill on the freeway near my place where the car would maintain 100kph rolling out of gear. It has a fall of 75m down to 38m over a distance of 1800m - works out to almost exactly a 1 in 50 slope so it probably is that. Plug the weight of the car into a bit of trigonometry to get the tractive effort, figure in speed and there you go.
barana
cars: mitz L300
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

Thinking about this, the hottest critical point in the engine is the exhaust seat. And and the vn-vr is banked injection. you'd really only need two thermocouples situated very close to the metal of the valve seats, at the cyl at the back of each bank where the head is hottest ....maybe under the tappet cover thru the ceiling of the water passage (and sealed by a thread on he shaft of this thermocouple coming to rest in contact with the metal at the floor of the water gallery right above the exaust seat. Would only be used in the event of a drain( I have some peugot sensors here used in the radiator to detect lack of coolant - installed in radiator to indicate a sudden coolant drain) when exhaust seat reached ' critical' temp, switch bank.
Last edited by barana on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:yeah,corse,God's a Holden man
Mate:whaaa?
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac
barana
cars: mitz L300
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

And the second bank that works eg in the falcon 6 arent working harder, theyre working at a very reduced rate with very gentle spark curves and a low rpm ceiling, it is ofcourse, a lhm: limp home mode.
Additionally the heat wouldnt reject to the coolant as here is none, it would reject via the pumped air out the non firing exhaust valve . Want to cool it down quicker? Squirt some juice down the 'cooling cycle cylinder every few revolutions, without spark, evaporating fuel will cool seats... latent heat of vapourisation
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:yeah,corse,God's a Holden man
Mate:whaaa?
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac